Webinar: Using Time Series Data in the Classroom
This event occurred on Wednesday, March 6th, 2019
Dax Soule, Queens College - CUNY
Glenn Kroeger, Trinity University
- Discuss the challenges associated with using seismic or other time series data in the classroom
- Highlight actionable solutions for educators to engage students using seismic or other types of time series data
- Demonstrate key resources that an educator might use to develop seismic or time series curriculum in their own class.
Lesson plans focused on time-series data present a number of practical challenges for educators. Student computers will often present a range of operating systems and software versions which can create friction and frustration for both instructors and students. Seismic data creates a special set of challenges because of the size of many data sets and the need for generally sophisticated analytical techniques to produce and interpret results.
This webinar will discuss these challenges and present potential solutions. First, we will demonstrate Seismic Canvas, a downloadable waveform display and printing application that offers significant exploration and analysis functionality. Second, we will discuss ways that cloud computing can used to create predefined environments to eliminate the challenge of installations and environment setup on a local machine.
Format - Online web presentation via Zoom meeting software with questions and discussion. Go to the webinar technology page for information on using Zoom. Detailed instructions for joining the webinar will be emailed to registered participants one day prior to the webinar.
- EDDIE Webinar March 2019 Slides (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 1.4MB Mar6 19)
- EDDIE Spectral Seismology Module
- Seismic Canvas.dmg - Most Recent Version (Disk Image File 11.5MB Mar6 19)
- Seismic Canvas for Windows - Most Recent Version (Zip Archive 21.9MB Mar6 19)
- Seismic Canvas for Windows (Zip Archive 39.5MB Mar4 19)
- Seismic Canvas.dmg file (Disk Image File 11.5MB Mar4 19)
Preparation - There is no advance preparation required for this webinar.
EDDIE Webinar Discussion: Using Time Series Data in the Classroom Notify me of new posts in this threadspool»
|id||Thread||Posts||Most Recent Posting|