Project EDDIE has developed a variety of teaching materials -- from short video tutorials and statistical vignettes to classroom activities, take a look at the collections below to find ready-to-use materials that can be adopted as is, or adapted to fit your course.
EDDIE-Developed materials include:
- Ready-to-use curricular modules, which use large publicly available online datasets that contribute to improved student quantitative reasoning. Ranging from one class period to a week, these materials have been pilot-tested and include all materials needed to complete the activities.
- Statistical Vignettes that utilize brief lectures, supporting materials, and an engaging story-line with diverse characters to help guide students and teachers through the relevant theoretical background. Statistical vignettes are designed to help students address statistical misconceptions and improve their quantitative reasoning skills.
- The EDDIE Teaching video & tutorial collection includes brief tutorials for software, including R, Excel, and EDDMapS, quantitative skills (regression), and teaching best practices.
In addition to the EDDIE-developed teaching materials, collections of community-contributed activities, course descriptions, essays, data sources, and pedagogical resources are available:
- Activity Collection: browse the collection of community-contributed activities.
- Course Collection: browse the collection of community-contributed course descriptions and syllabi.
- Essay Collection: read about instructors' approaches to teaching quantitative skills and reasoning through these community-contributed essays.
- Publicly-available data sources: a community-sourced collection of publicly available data sources that span environmental related disciplines such as ecology, earth sciences, oceanography, atmospheric sciences, climatology, seismology, hydrology, soil science, and other related fields.
- Guidance for Teaching with Data: a community-sourced collection of projects and initiatives devoted to teaching about data.
Using EDDIE Materials
Learn more about using EDDIE materials, including information about how materials were designed and a summary of features that can help you adapt EDDIE curricular modules and statistical vignettes to your course.
Get inspired! See how the community is using EDDIE modules in their courses.
- Read through the collection of Instructor Stories for first-hand accounts of how instructors adapted the modules to their classrooms.
- The Faculty Mentoring Network (FMN) program, through a partnership with QUBES, brings together faculty interested in implementing Project EDDIE teaching modules that address quantitative reasoning and scientific concepts using environmental data. Read about participants' experiences and keep an eye out for opportunities to get involved.