Spicing Up Your Assessments: Moving beyond exams
By the end of this workshop, participants will:
- Define what is meant by performance-based assessments
- Experience two different examples of performance-based assessments
- Describe the affordances and limitations of performance-based assessments.
- Consider how to align performance-based assessments with NGSS Crosscutting concepts or other course learning objectives.
- Generate a plan for enacting performance-based assessments in your classroom.
1:30-1:40 Welcome, Introduction, and Scope of Workshop
- What is one assessment strategy you currently use and a goal you have with that assessment or assessments overall?
1:40-1:55 What constitutes performance-based assessment? What are the different types of performance-based assessment? What are the key aspects of sort tasks, and how do they support student learning?
Performance-based Assessments: Who, What and Why?! (Acrobat (PDF) 1.2MB Aug21 19) Presentation slides
This presentation by Larry Collins will serve as an entry-point into a conversation about performance-based assessment and how your students might benefit from its use.
1:55-2:25 Try it yourself! Natural Selection Sort Task
2:25-2:40 Report out observations about the sort task and thoughts on how this might support student learning
2:40-3:10 Try it yourself! Interconcept Assessments--Conducting a Geologic Hazards Assessment
3:10-3:20 Report out observations of the Geologic Hazards Assessment
3:20-3:30 Compare and contrast the two types of performance-based assessments.
3:30-3:45 Summarizing what we've learned: What characteristics does an assessment have to have in order to be considered performance-based?
3:45-4:00 End of Workshop4:00 Adjourn