Addressing Bias in Teaching
By the end of this workshop, participants will:
- Be able to define and identify how unconscious biases impact us as instructors
- Be able to define and identify how unconscious biases impact our students
- Learn strategies to prevent negative impacts of those biases in their course
- Create a sustainable action plan of strategies they will implement in their courses next year
1:30 Welcome and introductions
1:45 What is unconscious bias? Why does it matter to us as instructors? What are the impacts?
- Definitions [5 min]
- Personal reflection activity: What biases may I hold? [15 min]
- Small group discussions: How has unconscious bias personally impacted you or someone you know? [10 min]
- Group activity: Identify ways in which your own biases could impact students in your course (positively or negatively) [15 min]
- Overview of the literature that documents how it impacts us as instructors [15 min]
2:45 Strategies to counteract negative implicit biases
- Large group activity [15 min]: What strategies do you already employ that would prevent unconscious biases from
- 1) negatively affecting your students?
- 2) negatively affecting you as an instructor?
- Review of the Strategies to Prevent Biases in your Teaching Handout EER Strategies to Prevent Bias in Teaching.docx (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 21kB Jul12 19) [15 min]
3:15 Creating a sustainable action plan
- Participants will work individually to identify strategies they can implement in their own courses next year [10 min]
- Participants will share with their groups the strategies they plan to implement and get feedback from others [25 min]
3:50 Wrap-up and evaluation
Project Implicit is a great place to go and understand your own biases:
MTV's Look Different Project: