Has there been a finding from education research that has profoundly impacted your teaching?
- Research has identified high impact practices - service learning and undergraduate research in courses
- Key Findings about how people learn: metacognition - directed efforts for students to reflect on how they learn
- From the K-12 world: structure for how to develop scientific reasoning and saw using it has impact on learning
- Flow model of learning sciences/psychology use the challenge and the skills - need to scaffold so add increasingly challenges and unlock more skills as move through a lesson or course - teaching in a more intentional way.
- Idea of place based education - take general concepts and apply to local setting increases relevance and student interest