About this Project
Learn More About Project Impact »
An integral part of the fabric of geoscience education and a major source of teaching resources, the program is now a cooperative venture of geoscience professional societies jointly managed by the National Association of Geoscience Teachers and the leaders of the NSF Grant (which will terminate in 2016). On the Cutting Edge programming has been expanded beyond beyond its original focus on courses, pedagogy and career management to include activities that strengthen departments. These activities build on workshop programs and websites that originated as part of the NSF-funded Building Strong Geoscience Departments which involved more than 185 departments. The InTeGrate STEP Center for the Geosciences is also a major contributor to programming. Learn More About Cutting Edge
Workshop Design Philosophy »
The On the Cutting Edge Management Committee includes representatives from the three primary contributing professional societies (AGU, GSA and NAGT), the NAGT treasurer, and the original Cutting Edge and Strong Departments grants. Appointed by the NAGT Executive Committee, this committee is responsible for the overall management of the program and its financial affairs. Professional societies who become substantial financial supporters of the program will have representation on this committee.
The NAGT Professional Development Program Committee is responsible for the management of the professional development activities and the website content, including peer review of teaching activities. This committee is currently composed of four NAGT members appointed by the Executive Committee and four PIs from the On the Cutting Edge NSF-funded project. The committee determines workshop offerings, appoints workshop conveners, and creates committees to manage other activities. They are responsible for the ensuring that the workshop offerings in aggregate address the needs and priorities of undergraduate geoscience education and for the quality of the individual activities. The committee was established in an MOU between NAGT and the NSF-funded On the Cutting Edge project leadership.
The leadership of the NSF-funded On the Cutting Edge project manages the parts of the On the Cutting Edge program that are currently financed by the NSF grant including the Early Career Faculty Workshop and the Preparing for an Academic Career Workshop, the completion of the review of teaching activities collected by the NSF-funded project, and the overall management of the website. This group is advised by an advisory board.
The program is funded by support from sponsoring professional societies, remaining NSF funds, registration fees, and contributions from individuals to the NAGT Professional Development Fund. Learn More About Sponsorship and Contributions »
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Division of Undergraduate Education under Cutting Edge grants DUE-0127310, DUE- 127141, DUE- 127257, DUE- 127018, DUE- 618482, DUE- 618725, DUE- 618533, DUE- 022680, DUE-1022776, DUE-1022844, and DUE- 022910 and Building Strong Geoscience Departments grants EAR-0331930, EAR-0331933, EAR-0614926, EAR-0614570, EAR-0614393, DUE-0817353 and DUE-0817265. Disclaimer: Any opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in this website are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.
- The National Association of Geoscience Teachers with over 1300 geoscience educators working together to foster improvement in teaching about Earth science at all levels of formal an informal instruction.Past On the Cutting Edge Workshops
and Presentations at GSA Meetings »
- The Geological Society of America advancing geoscience research and discovery, service to society, stewardship of the Earth, and the geosciences profession.Past On the Cutting Edge Workshops
and Presentations at AGU Meetings »
- The American Geophysical Union
- About the Cutting Edge Digital Library Collection
- Workshop Schedule
- General Information for Workshop Participants
- Recommend a Workshop Topic
- For further information about the On the Cutting Edge program:
- Cathy Manduca, email@example.com, NAGT Executive Director
- For further information about the workshop program:
- Heather Macdonald (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Susan Buhr (email@example.com), NAGT Professional Development Committee Co-Chairs
- For further information about the NSF funded On the Cutting Edge project:
- Heather Macdonald, firstname.lastname@example.org, College of William and Mary
- For further information specifically about this website:
- Cathryn Manduca, email@example.com, Carleton College
- For further information about an individual workshop:
- Go to the Workshop Schedule page, which contains links all the websites for current and past workshops. Workshop and contact information is available at each workshop site.