Trace Gases: Stella II Mac and PC
This material was originally created for Starting Point:Introductory Geology
and is replicated here as part of the SERC Pedagogic Service.
- Terms: atmospheric life-time, source emission strength, and equilibrium concentration.
- Learn about chemical mass balance of the global atmosphere.
- Understand the relationship between atmospheric life-time, source emission strength, and equilibrium concentration.
- Apply this to CFC concentration changes before and after international policies calling for the phase out of CFC production.
- Calibrate Model to 1958 to 2000 Mauna Loa CO2 observations and then use model to estimate future CO2 concentrations.
Context for Use
Description and Teaching Materials
Mac Version of Atmospheric Trace Gas Assignment ( 40kB May19 03) is a complete activity archive (*.sit) with Stella Model and MS word activity document.
PC Version of Atmospheric Trace Gas Assignment ( 52kB Jun5 03) is a complete activity archive (*.zip) with Stella Model and MS word activity document. Right click and save it to your disk in *.zip format so it can be unzipped with WinZip. You will need WinZip to unzip these files. An evaluation copy of WinZip is available at WinZip.com .
Teaching Notes and Tips
References and Resources
An updated JAVA version of this activity is available here. It runs best on a PC but has run on Mac OS 10.2.4 with Mozilla browser.