Trace Gases: Stella II Mac and PC
This material is replicated on a number of sites as part of the SERC Pedagogic Service Project
- Terms: atmospheric life-time, source emission strength, and equilibrium concentration.
- Learn about chemical mass balance of the global atmosphere.
- Understand the relationship between atmospheric life-time, source emission strength, and equilibrium concentration.
- Apply this to CFC concentration changes before and after international policies calling for the phase out of CFC production.
- Calibrate Model to 1958 to 2000 Mauna Loa CO2 observations and then use model to estimate future CO2 concentrations.
Context for Use
Mac Version of Atmospheric Trace Gas Assignment ( 40kB May19 03) is a complete activity archive (*.sit) with Stella Model and MS word activity document.
PC Version of Atmospheric Trace Gas Assignment ( 52kB Jun5 03) is a complete activity archive (*.zip) with Stella Model and MS word activity document. Right click and save it to your disk in *.zip format so it can be unzipped with WinZip. You will need WinZip to unzip these files. An evaluation copy of WinZip is available at WinZip.com .
Teaching Notes and Tips
References and Resources
An updated JAVA version of this activity is available here. It runs best on a PC but has run on Mac OS 10.2.4 with Mozilla browser.