Making and Sustaining Institutional Change
From the SERC Portfolio:
Accelerating Systemic Change Network
ASCN is a network of individuals and institutions formed with the goal of advancing STEM education programs.
InTeGrate: Catalyze Systemic Change
The InTeGrate program models documented their plans for and experiences with making change happen.
Network of STEM Education Centers
NSEC shares effective practices for running STEM Education Centers which often have institutional change goals.
Pathways to Institutional Change
This resource from the HHMI Capstone Institutions presents strategies for sustaining institutional change.
These strategies, resources, and example programs have been compiled to help change agents make and sustain successful institutional change. Many of the components of institutional change efforts are interwoven, and strategies for change can be drawn from multiple resources and themes. The examples of institutional change program models provide an array of tactics and techniques that can be applied to a diversity of change implementations.
The resources showcased here are a synthesis of material made available by the InTeGrate STEP Center project, the Accelerating Systemic Change Network , the Network of STEM Education Centers, Supporting STEM Success in a Liberal Arts Context, and Building Strong Departments.
Jump to: Other Institutional Change Resources
Designing for Institutional Change
Supporting Institutional Change
Institutional Change Program Models
Evaluating Institutional Change
- Program Evaluation
- Evaluation and Assessment
- Use data to guide your work
- Program Assessment
- Student Success Change Efforts
- Resources from the Association of American Colleges & Universities
- Keck/PKAL Guide to Systemic Institutional Change in STEM Education
- Navigating Institutional Change for Student Success in STEM
- Liberal Education and America's Promise (LEAP)
- Crossing Boundaries: Transforming STEM Education
- Resources from the Association of American Universities
- Framework for Systemic Change in Undergraduate STEM Teaching and Learning
- STEM Education Reforms in Action
- AAAS: Vision and Change in Undergraduate Biology Education
- AACC: Leadership for Transformational Change: Implementing Pathways at Scale
- AAHEA: Embracing Civic Responsibility
- MDRC: Moving Ahead with Institutional Change
- Eckel, P., Green, M., & Hill, B. (2001). On Change V: Riding the Waves of Change: Insights from Transforming Institutions. An Occasional Paper Series of the ACE Project on Leadership and Institutional Transformation and The Kellogg Forum on Higher Education Transformation.
- Eckel, P., Green, M., Hill, B., & Mallon, W. (1999). On Change III: Taking Charge of Change: A Primer for Colleges and Universities. An Occasional Paper Series of the ACE Project on Leadership and Institutional Transformation.
- Fry, C.L (Ed.) (2014). Achieving Systemic Change: A Sourcebook for Advancing and Funding Undergraduate STEM Education. The Coalition for Reform of Undergraduate STEM Education. Washington, D.C.: Association of American Colleges and Universities.
- Ramaley, J. A. (2002). Moving Mountains: Institutional Culture and Transformational Change. Higher Education. Paper 177.