Paleobiology Database Educational Resources
The workshop will be to introduce the Paleobiology Database and its open capabilities to instructors who would like to use it to teach concepts of earth history, evolution, and paleobiology to their students of any age. We will then guide the development of additional student activities (lesson plans, lab activities, active explorations, videos, etc.) by workshop participants for them to use with their own students and to upload to the PBDB system to share with others. For this workshop, please bring your own laptop. We do NOT recommend using a tablet, although it may work, you will want a full keyboard and larger screen.
The PBDB is generously is offering stipends of $250 per person for the first 20 participants that plan on attending the Paleobiology Database Educational Resources mini-workshop. If interested in accessing this funding, complete this online form.
Stipulations for receiving a stipend:
- You must be a registered participant at the Rendezvous.
- You must be present for the entire afternoon mini workshop on Monday from 1:30-4 p.m.
- You must be a US citizen.
- W9s (Acrobat (PDF) 227kB Jul10 18) and Participant Support forms (Acrobat (PDF) 270kB Jul10 18) need to be filled out and returned to Mark Uhen to receive the $250 stipend. (please contact Mark Uhen for more information).
Please be sure to bring your own laptop. Tablets will be a challenge!
By the end of this workshop, participants will:
- Explore the Paleobiology Database to see what it can do and how it can be used for teaching
- Try some of the learning activities already created that use the Paleobiology Database
- Brainstorm more ideas for additional learning activities using the Paleobiology Database
- Begin to create new activities using (solo or in pairs)
1:30 Welcome and introductions
1:35 Introduction to the Paleobiology Database
2:00 Exploration of existing PBDB learning activities
2:20 Brainstorm ideas for additional activities
2:45 Choose activity ideas for development. Pair up if more than one person is interested in the same idea.
3:45 Wrap-up and Workshop evaluation
Mark's Slides Mark's Presentation slides (Acrobat (PDF) 1.5MB Jul16 18)