Early Career Geoscience Faculty Visit to the National Science Foundation
The NSF Headquarters are located at 2415 Eisenhower Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22314. We will be transporting participants by bus to the NSF on Friday morning. Please meet in the lobby of the Cambria hotel by 8:15 am to take the bus to NSF. For participants with cars, you will want to drive your car to NSF, because we will be checking out of the Cambria. There are public parking lots in Alexandria near the NSF Headquarters including: AMC Hoffman Center Garage, 206 Swamp Fox Road. Parking there costs ~$8 daily.
Friday, August 2, 2019
Visitor guide, including parking maps, security information, wireless access, etc: https://www.nsf.gov/about/visit/VisitorInformationGuide.pdf
8:15 Meet for departure by bus from University of Maryland
9:00-9:30 Arrival at National Science Foundation
9:30-10:00 Check in (ID required)
- A valid federal or state government identification card that is REAL ID Act compliant is required for entry to NSF facilities. Please check the Department of Homeland Security website (https://www.dhs.gov/current-status-states-territories) to determine if your driver's license is REAL ID Act compliant, or determine what alternative forms of identification you should bring. Examples of valid ID include: REAL ID Act compliant driver's licenses, passport, CAC/PIV card, or pictured I-9 documentation. Please check the NSF website http://www.nsf.gov/about/visit/alt-ids.jsp for examples of alternative forms of identification accepted by NSF.
- You will go through metal detectors at the entrance (security requirements are similar to TSA).
- Hang out in the cafeteria until meetings begin!
- We will have a room for you to store your luggage during the day.
10:15 Welcome to NSF - Introduction and orientation provided by Geo Leadership (Rm 2020)
10:45-11:45 Small group meetings (attend one)
- Geobiology and Low-Temperature Geochemistry (Rm TBD)
- Geomorphology and Land-Use Dynamics (Rm 2030, shared)
- Geophysics (Rm 2020, shared)
- Sedimentary Geo & Paleobio (Rm 3010)
- Hydrologic Sciences (Rm 2030, shared)
- Tectonics (Rm 3020)
- Programs in the Division of Atmospheric and Geospace Sciences (Rm 2020, shared)
- Programs in the Division of Ocean Sciences (Rm 2240)
- Programs in the Office of Polar Programs (Rm 3310)
11:45-1:00pm Lunch at the NSF Cafeteria. Please do not leave the NSF building, for timing/security reasons.
Individual appointments will mostly occur between 1pm-4pm. Please check appointment schedule, and feel free to exit/enter ongoing sessions so that you can attend individual appointments
Individual appointments will be located in lounge/meeting areas, in addition to:
Atmospheric Sciences (location TBA)
Geobiology/Low Temp Geochem (location TBA)
Geomorphology (location TBA)
Geophysics (location TBA)
Hydrology (Rm 3020)
Ocean Sciences (all) (Rm 2240)
P2C2 and GLD (location TBA)
Sed Paleo (Rm 3010)
Tectonics (location TBA)
IUSE: GEOPATHS (Rm TBA)
EHR (Rm TBA)
1:00-1:40 Integrating Research and Education: NSF CAREER Program (Rm 2020)
1:45-2:25 Concurrent sessions (attend one)
- Earth Sciences (EAR) Instrumentation and Facilities (Rm 2020)
- Antarctic and Arctic Logistics and Planning, and Navigating the New Arctic (Rm 3310)
- Ocean Sciences Logistics, Facilities and Ship Time (Rm 2030)
2:30-3:10 Concurrent sessions (attend one)
- Opportunities for supporting undergraduate education in the Geosciences (Rm 2020)
- Data Management for NSF supported projects (Rm 2030)
3:15-3:55 Broader Impacts and Increasing Diversity in the Geosciences (Rm 2020)
3:00-5:00 Debrief: Check in with Sarah, Josh, Tessa or Ben before you leave so we know how your visit went!