Early Career Geoscience Faculty Visit to the National Science Foundation
Friday, August 2, 2019
Visitor guide, including parking maps, security information, wireless access, etc: https://www.nsf.gov/about/visit/VisitorInformationGuide.pdf
9:00-9:30 Arrival at National Science Foundation
9:30-10:00 Check in (ID required)
- A valid federal or state government identification card that is REAL ID Act compliant is required for entry to NSF facilities. Please check the Department of Homeland Security website (https://www.dhs.gov/current-status-states-territories) to determine if your driver's license is REAL ID Act compliant, or determine what alternative forms of identification you should bring. Examples of valid ID include: REAL ID Act compliant driver's licenses, passport, CAC/PIV card, or pictured I-9 documentation. Please check the NSF website http://www.nsf.gov/about/visit/alt-ids.jsp for examples of alternative forms of identification accepted by NSF.
- You will go through metal detectors at the entrance (security requirements are similar to TSA).
- Hang out in the cafeteria until meetings begin!
- We will have a room for you to store your luggage during the day.
10:15 Welcome to NSF - Introduction and orientation provided by Geo Leadership
10:45-11:45 Small group meetings (attend one)
- Geobiology and Low-Temperature Geochemistry
- Geomorphology and Land-Use Dynamics
- Hydrologic Sciences
- Petrology and Geochemistry
- Programs in the Division of Atmospheric and Geospace Sciences
- Programs in the Division of Ocean Sciences
- Programs in the Office of Polar Programs
11:45-1:00pm Lunch at the NSF Cafeteria. Please do not leave the NSF building, for timing/security reasons.
From noon - 1pm the NSF store is open on the 2nd floor for you to peruse NSF items!
Individual appointments will mostly occur between 1pm-4pm. Please check appointment schedule, and feel free to exit/enter ongoing sessions so that you can attend individual appointments
Individual appointments will be located in lounge/meeting areas, in addition to:
Atmospheric Sciences (location TBA)
Coupled Human Natural Systems (location TBA)
Geobiology/Low Temp Geochem (location TBA)
Geomorphology (location TBA)
Geophysics (location TBA)
Hydrology (location TBA)
Ocean Sciences (all) (location TBA)
P2C2 (location TBA)
Tectonics (location TBA)
1:00-1:40 Integrating Research and Education: NSF CAREER Program
1:45-2:25 Concurrent sessions (attend one)
- Earth Sciences (EAR) Instrumentation and Facilities
- Instrumentation and Facilities in AGS
- Antarctic and Arctic Logistics and Planning, and Navigating the New Arctic
- Ocean Sciences Logistics, Facilities and Ship Time
2:30-3:10 Concurrent sessions (attend one)
- Opportunities for supporting undergraduate education in the Geosciences
- Data Management for NSF supported projects
3:15-3:55 Broader Impacts and Increasing Diversity in the Geosciences
3:00-5:00 Debrief: Check in with Sarah, Josh or Tessa before you leave so we know how your visit went!