Science Education Resource Center- Carleton College
koconnell at carleton dot edu
I am currently working at SERC as an evaluation and education specialist. I design and implement evaluation of educational projects, and conduct research related to the assessment of student learning.
In the past, I have been involved with On the Cutting Edge workshops and website design; the Carleton Interdisciplinary Science & Math Initiative (CISMI), including the broadening access cohorts (FOCUS, CSSF, and CSSI) evaluation; Sustainability Improves Student Learning project management; GeoPRISMS project assistance and evaluation, InTeGrate website and assessment manager, inaugural Earth Educators' Rendezvous project manager, and more.
- Continue to provide easy to follow links to all Cutting Edge materials
- Provide easy access to the NAGT/On the Cutting Edge professional development workshop schedule and results
- Emphasize the pivotal roll of the geoscience community in the Cutting Edge program and strong teaching materials
- Feature the peer-reviewed exemplary activities teaching collection
- Highlight the supporting role of program contributors and NAGT membership
University of California, Davis, MS 2009, Thesis: Sedimentology, Structural Geology, and Paleomagnetism of the Ghost Rocks Formation; Kodiak Islands, Alaska. My research has focused on large-scale tectonic movements, combining tectonic, structural geologic, sedimentologic, and paleomagnetic data.
Carleton College, Northfield, MN, BA 2004, Thesis: Ages, geochemistry, and field relationships of mafic dikes along the Wrangell Transect, Southeast Alaska.
O'Connell, Kristin; Eblen-Zayas, Melissa (2017) Making Connections: How a Small Learning and Teaching Center Has a Big Impact. NSEC National Conference. (Poster).
Williams, Trey, Cashin, Melanie, O'Connell, Kristin (2016) Acknowledging Class in the Classroom. Learning and Teaching Center, Carleton College
O'Connell, Kristin, Bruckner, M.Z., Manduca, C.A., Gosselin, D.C. Supporting Interdisciplinary Teaching about the Earth with the InTeGrate Website, Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences.
O'Connell, K., Gosselin, D., Bruckner, M., Manduca, C., (2015) Supporting Interdisciplinary Teaching about the Earth for a Sustainable Future with the InTeGrate Website (Acrobat (PDF) 9.3MB Nov3 15), Earth Educators' Rendezvous, Boulder, CO (Abstract
- O'Connell, Kristin (2014) Supporting interdisciplinary teaching about the Earth with the InTeGrate website, Association for Environmental Studies and Sciences Annual Meeting, New York, NY.
- O'Connell, Kristin, Monica Z. Bruckner, Susan M. Buhr, David C. Gosselin, Karin B. Kirk, Krista Larsen, Tamara Shapiro Ledley, Cathryn A. Manduca, David W. Mogk, and Katryn Wiese (2012) Sustainability and Climate Change Teaching Resources, Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs. Vol. 44, No. 7, p. 371 (Abstract)
- (Presented for Iverson) Iverson, E.,McMartin, F., Morgan, G., Morrill, J., Larsen, K. (2012) Evaluating Faculty and Student Use of Digital Resources for Teaching and Learning. Evaluation 2012: American Evaluation Association Annual Meeting. Minneapolis, MN