Geoscience Education and Evaluation Associate
Science Education Resource Center- Carleton College
koconnell at carleton dot edu
I am part of the wonderful SERC web and evaluation teams composed of dynamic, hardworking, flexible people able to manage a large number of simultaneous projects that leverage our collective expertise. Through website development, professional development, education research, assessment, and evaluation, we aim to understand and improve STEM education. One of the strengths of our office is our ability to work together to provide collaborators with effective workshop, website, and working design ideas to help maximize impact and reach of their science education and research projects.
For me, this includes collecting, managing and analyzing data from student assessments and surveys; supporting the planning, implementation, and products of face-to-face and virtual workshops and meetings; developing websites on teaching materials, active pedagogic techniques, and research on learning; and troubleshooting day-to-day operations. I have been involved with On the Cutting Edge workshops and website design; the Carleton Interdisciplinary Science & Math Initiative (CISMI), including the broadening access cohorts (FOCUS, CSSF, and CSSI) evaluation; Sustainability Improves Student Learning project management; GeoPRISMS project assistance and evaluation, InTeGrate website and assessment manager, inaugural Earth Educators' Rendezvous project manager, and more.
I have helped design and re-design a number of webpages, each with unique audiences and intents. All of the designs have benefited from the input of the SERC webteam, relevant project teams, and from updated CMS design features from Sean Fox and Matt Lauer.
- Continue to provide easy to follow links to all Cutting Edge materials
- Provide easy access to the NAGT/On the Cutting Edge professional development workshop schedule and results
- Emphasize the pivotal roll of the geoscience community in the Cutting Edge program and strong teaching materials
- Feature the peer-reviewed exemplary activities teaching collection
- Highlight the supporting role of program contributors and NAGT membership
Sample Figure design and drafting (click to enlarge)
I have a passion for teaching and geoscience education, and have taught high-school Earth Science and Marine Science formally, and have informally taught everywhere else (in coffee shops, while hiking, while leading canoe trips, in the teachers lounge, etc). As a contracting geologist for the National Museum of Natural History, at the Smithsonian Institution, I helped manage and update the Meteorite Research Collection for improved preservation and accessibility, responded to public meteorite identification requests, and helped design educational displays for the exhibit hall. I also have a limited background in geotechnical engineering, where I was mostly involved with landslide mapping, fault trenching, and monitoring public infrastructure.
University of California, Davis, MS 2009, Thesis: Sedimentology, Structural Geology, and Paleomagnetism of the Ghost Rocks Formation; Kodiak Islands, Alaska. My research has focused on large-scale tectonic movements, combining tectonic, structural geologic, sedimentologic, and paleomagnetic data.
Carleton College, Northfield, MN, BA 2004, Thesis: Ages, geochemistry, and field relationships of mafic dikes along the Wrangell Transect, Southeast Alaska.
O'Connell, Kristin, Bruckner, M.Z., Manduca, C.A., Gosselin, D.C. Supporting Interdisciplinary Teaching about the Earth with the InTeGrate Website, Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences.
O'Connell, K., Gosselin, D., Bruckner, M., Manduca, C., (2015) Supporting Interdisciplinary Teaching about the Earth for a Sustainable Future with the InTeGrate Website (Acrobat (PDF) 9.3MB Nov3 15), Earth Educators' Rendezvous, Boulder, CO (Abstract
- O'Connell, Kristin (2014) Supporting interdisciplinary teaching about the Earth with the InTeGrate website, Association for Environmental Studies and Sciences Annual Meeting, New York, NY.
- O'Connell, Kristin, Monica Z. Bruckner, Susan M. Buhr, David C. Gosselin, Karin B. Kirk, Krista Larsen, Tamara Shapiro Ledley, Cathryn A. Manduca, David W. Mogk, and Katryn Wiese (2012) Sustainability and Climate Change Teaching Resources, Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs. Vol. 44, No. 7, p. 371 (Abstract)
- (Presented for Iverson) Iverson, E.,McMartin, F., Morgan, G., Morrill, J., Larsen, K. (2012) Evaluating Faculty and Student Use of Digital Resources for Teaching and Learning. Evaluation 2012: American Evaluation Association Annual Meeting. Minneapolis, MN