The Food-Energy-Water Nexus: Using Hydroviz to Support Undergraduate Student Learning about Complex Socio-Hydrologic Issues
This workshop aims to introduce undergraduate instructors to a course module and associated resources developed to engage undergraduate students in visualization of data grounded in the Food-Energy-Water-Nexus (FEW-Nexus). Using an online water systems visualization tool – Hydroviz - students engage in structured decision-making around a contemporary FEW-Nexus challenge with both natural and human dimensions. The workshop will involve an introduction to the course module and Hydroviz, participation in a subset of module learning activities, and adaptation of the module to fit within a course that participants already teach at their own institutions. Participants will complete a brief survey before and after the workshop to contribute to workshop evaluation. Participants will need access to a computer during the workshop. Participants who complete all workshop activities will receive a $200 stipend.
By the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
1. identify the core components of the course module
2. modify and be prepared to implement an adapted version of the module in their own courses to effectively promote their students' learning.
1:30 Welcome and introductions
1:50 Introduction to Hydroviz - Exercise 1
2:10 Introduction to the curricular module
2:30 Participants' engagement with the project - Exercise 2
2:50 Participants' engagement with the project - Exercise 3
3:10 Introduction to decision making - Exercise 4
3:40 Wrap-up and workshop evaluation
As we prepare for the workshop, there are two things we ask everyone to do in advance to make the most of the time we have together.
- Please complete the pre-survey BEFORE the workshop. The link to the survey is: https://few-nexus-pre-survey.questionpro.com. The survey takes around 20 minutes to complete. At any point, it can be saved to continue later (a message will be sent to your e-mail with a link to bring you back to the survey). Once completed, the survey can be downloaded.
- Create an account in Hydrolearn to have access to the module. Please follow this link with the instructions: https://bit.ly/FEWmodule.
During the workshop, please complete the following activities.
- Complete the exercise sheet. You can download the exercise sheet from this link: https://bit.ly/hvzfolder
- Complete the post-survey of the workshop. The link to the survey is: https://few-nexus-post-survey.questionpro.com. Close to the conclusion to the workshop, you will start working on answering the survey. At any point, it can be saved to continue later (a message will be sent to your e-mail with a link to bring you back to the survey). Once completed, the survey can be downloaded.