This workshop has already taken place. See presentations and resources on the Program page.
The Early Career Geoscience Faculty workshop is designed for those in their first three years of a tenure-track or equivalent faculty position. If you are in the process of applying for tenure-track or other permanent faculty positions, we encourage you to apply both to this workshop and to the Preparing for an Academic Career workshop, with a note that you are in the process of applying for faculty positions.
Workshop Goals for Participants
- Learn about setting course goals, strategies for active learning, and methods for assessment.
- Share ideas and strategies for teaching one or more courses.
- Consider successful strategies for maintaining an active research program and advising/supervising undergraduate and/or graduate research students.
- Discuss life as an early-career faculty member and explore ways to balance teaching, research, and service responsibilities.
- Leave with examples of assignments and activities for various courses, strategies for balancing competing demands, a support network of other early career faculty, and a plan for managing your early career as an academic.
On-site costs: The workshop registration fee is $900 ($850 for NAGT members). Accommodations and some meals are covered by the registration fee. Travel is not included in the registration fee.
Travel: Participants or their home institutions must provide transportation to and from the workshop.
Stipends: In the cases where the cost of attending this workshop would cause financial hardship, you can apply for a stipend to defray the costs. We will notify you of your stipend application status in late May.
Application and Selection Criteria
The workshop size is limited. The final list of participants will be established with the goal of assembling a group representing a wide range of experiences and educational environments. Priority is given to those in tenure-track (or equivalent) positions in the geosciences.
The application deadline was March 16, 2018.
The workshop will be held at the University of Maryland in College Park, Maryland.
Special Accommodation Requests
The Early Career workshop conveners are committed to providing universal access to our programming and supporting special accommodation requests to the best of our ability. We encourage you to apply to for the workshop and can work with you to accommodate special circumstances. If selected to participate in the workshop, please check the box on the registration form if you would like a member of our staff to follow up with you to assist with accommodations that support your needs (e.g. accessible parking space, alternative formats, lactation room). Please note that we will do our best to accommodate your needs, but cannot guarantee we will be able to. Regardless, advanced notice is necessary.
For More Information
Please contact Tessa Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org, 707-875-1910.