This workshop has already taken place. See presentations and resources on the Program page.
The Early Career Geoscience Faculty workshop is designed for those in their first three years of a tenure-track or equivalent faculty position. If you are in the process of applying for tenure-track or other permanent faculty positions, we encourage you to apply both to this workshop and to the Preparing for an Academic Career workshop, with a note that you are in the process of applying for faculty positions.
Workshop Goals for Participants
- Learn about setting course goals, strategies for active learning, and methods for assessment.
- Share ideas and strategies for teaching one or more courses.
- Consider successful strategies for maintaining an active research program and advising/supervising undergraduate and/or graduate research students.
- Discuss life as an early-career faculty member and explore ways to balance teaching, research, and service responsibilities.
- Leave with examples of assignments and activities for various courses, strategies for balancing competing demands, a support network of other early career faculty, and a plan for managing your early career as an academic.
On-site costs: The workshop registration fee is estimated to be ~$1250 ($1200 for NAGT members). The registration fee will cover accommodations in dorms, and some meals. Travel is not included in the registration fee.
Travel: Participants or their home institutions must provide transportation to and from the workshop.
Stipends: In the cases where the cost of attending this workshop would cause financial hardship, you can apply for a stipend, to defray the costs. We will notify you of your stipend application status by May 26.
Application and Selection CriteriaThe workshop size is limited. The final list of participants will be established with the goal of assembling a group representing a wide range of experiences and educational environments. Priority is given to those in tenure-track (or equivalent) positions in the geosciences.
The application deadline is March 22, 2017.