Schedule for Early Career Geoscience Faculty Visit to the National Science Foundation on Monday, June 18, 2007
6:45 am Depart for NSF (meet bus outside PBK Hall at 6:30)
9:45-10:15 Check in (get visitor badge). You must have government-issued photo identification.
10:15-10:50 Introduction to the National Science Foundation and Geoscience-Related Programs (Room 110)
- Welcome and Introduction to the Directorate for Geosciences - Margaret Cavanaugh
- Welcome from the Division of Undergraduate Education, Directorate for Education and Human Resources - Keith Sverdrup
- Welcome from the Division of Earth Sciences - Jim Whitcomb
- Welcome from the Division of Atmospheric Sciences - Rich Behnke
- Welcome from the Division of Ocean Sciences - Julie Morris
- Education Initiatives in the Geosciences Directorate: Opportunities for Enhancing Diversity in the Geosciences and the Geoscience Education Program - Jill Karsten
11:00-12:00 Small-Group Meetings OR individual meetings with relevent program officers for those whose research interests are different than the programs listed below. Small-group meetings are scheduled based on the number of participants with interests in these programs and the availability of program officers. Note: The small group meeting for the Atmospheric Sciences Division will be from 12:00-12:45.
- Advanced Technological Education and Other Opportunities of Particular Interest to Two-year College Faculty - Keith Sverdrup and Sharon Locke (Room 310)
- Earth System History/Paleoclimate - David Verardo (Room 330)
- Geobiology and Low-Temperature Geochemistry - Enriqueta Barrera (room 365)
- Geomorphology and Land Use Dynamics - Mike Ellis (Room 370)
- Petrology and Geochemistry - Sonia Esperanca (Room 320)
- Tectonics - David Fountain (Room 770)
12:00-1:00 Lunch on your own or with small groups
12:00-12:45 Atmospheric Sciences small group meeting - Peter Milne (Room 730)
Afternoon - Concurrent sessions and individual meetings to discuss research goals/projects with NSF Program Officers.
1:30-2:10 Concurrent Sessions
- Broadening Participation in the Geosciences - Opportunities for Enhancing Diversity in the Geosciences (OEDG), the GEO-Education program, and Human Resource Development programs - Jill Karsten (GEO) and Marilyn Suiter (EHR) (Room 730)
- Earth Sciences Instrumentation and Facilities - Russell Kelz and David Lambert (Room 770)
2:15-2:55 Concurrent Sessions
- EarthScope - Kaye Shedlock (Room 730)
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) - Lina Patino, Sarah Ruth, and Lisa Rom (Room 770)
3:00-3:40 Integrating research and education: NSF's CAREER Program and fulfilling the "Broader Impacts" requirement - Sonia Esperanca (EAR), Don Elthon (OCE), and Sarah Ruth (ATM) (Room 730)
3:45-4:25 Course, Curriculum, and Laboratory Improvement (CCLI) programs in the Division of Undergraduate Education - Keith Sverdrup (Room 730)
4:30-5:00 Debriefing Session (Room 730)
5:15 Dinner at Tara Thai, 4001 N. Fairfax Dr. Arlington, VA (703-908-4999)
6:45 Bus departs for Williamsburg (leave from restaurant)
Information about NSF
The NSF web site provides information about all their programs, including the Program Directors. Particular web pages that may be useful give information about the Geoscience Directorate (this includes links to the Divisions of Atmospheric Sciences, Earth Sciences, and Ocean Sciences) and Geoscience Staff . Information about the Division of Undergraduate Education in the Education and Human Resources Directorate is found here .