Explore CTD data of vertical structure of ocean
This activity was selected for the Teaching Computation in the Sciences Using MATLAB Peer Reviewed Teaching Collection
This activity has received positive reviews in a peer review process involving five review categories. The five categories included in the process are
- Computational, Quantitative, and Scientific Accuracy
- Alignment of Learning Goals, Activities, and Assessments
- Pedagogic Effectiveness
- Robustness (usability and dependability of all components)
- Completeness of the ActivitySheet web page
For more information about the peer review process itself, please see https://serc.carleton.edu/teaching_computation/materials/activity_review.html.
This page first made public: Oct 12, 2015
1. for students to understand what the vertical structure in the ocean looks like
2. to get students asking questions about stability before we dive into this subject in more depth in lecture, and
3. to build familiarity/comfort with MATLAB to setup more involved MATLAB activities later in the semester.
Context for Use
Description and Teaching Materials
Getting Started Script (Matlab File 4kB Oct12 15)
coastline file (Matlab .MAT File 62kB Oct12 15)
ctd_profile.mat (Matlab .MAT File 49kB Oct12 15)
Teaching Notes and Tips
I talk a lot with the student's during this activity and we debrief when they have completed the activity.