Mono Lake Collection - General
History and Geography of Mono Lake
- International Society for Salt Lake Research. This site is home of the International Society for Salt Lake Research (ISSLR), an organization founded to establish effective liaison between persons interested in... (more info)
- Mono Basin Clearinghouse. This site serves as a comprehensive listing of scientific information on the Mono Basin, California. It is organized into the following categories: reports and studies... (more info)
- Mono Lake Background. This document details the history, geography, biology, and educational value of Mono Lake, California. The author describes the effects of the saline and alkaline... ( This site is likely no longer available. )
- Mono Lake Web Site. Mono Lake Web Site is the homepage of the Mono Lake Committee and offers helpful information regarding the unique hypersaline and alkaline environment. Visitors will... (more info)
- Mono Lake, California. This Sierra Webpage is dedicated to Mono Lake, CA. It offers a brief description of Mono Lake, including photos and sightseeing tips, and features numerous writings by... (more info)
- Pictures of Mono Lake
. This site briefly introduces the history and ecology of Mono Lake. It is comprised of 27 professional photographs, each offering a visual insight into the community's... (more info)
- The Student Revolution that Saved Mono Lake . This essay, written by a twelfth-grader in California, details the history of Mono Lake conservation. Beginning in 1976, it traces the events that inspired a few college... (more info)
Microbes of Mono Lake
- Arsenic: Toxic to People, Vital for Some Microbes. This on-line newspaper article introduces arsenic-breathing bacteria. The article briefly describes the history and uses of arsenic and then explains how these... (more info)
- Chinatown Revisited: Arsenic and the Los Angeles Water Supply. This quarterly magazine article addresses the presence of arsenic in the Los Angeles water supply, tracing it back to Owens Valley and the development of the Los Angeles... ( This site may be offline. )
- Extreme Ecosystem Found on Earth. This on-line news article reports that a community of extreme-loving microbes has been discovered working together to survive at the bottom of California's strange... ( This site is likely no longer available. )
- Mono Lake Microbial Observatory. This site is home of the Mono Lake Microbial Observatory. The primary goal of the Mono Lake Microbial Observatory project is to examine the distributions of Mono Lake ... (more info)
- Mono Lake and Mars: The Extremophile Connection. This article explains how and why scientists are looking to Mono Lake for clues regarding life on Mars. It describes tufa formation and the creation of microfossils... (more info)
- The Goldilocks Zone. This on-line news article introduces the Goldilocks Zone, an area of space adequate for the survival of life. Initially believed to be a remarkably small region of... (more info)
- Carle, 1987 Introduction to Water in California This natural history guide tells the story of California's water. It traces the journey of water in the state from the atmosphere to the snowpack, faucets, and foods. (full citation)
Other Mono Lake Collections
Advanced Collection: Compiled for professionals and advanced learners, this collection includes resources such as journal articles, academic reviews, and surveys.
For Educators: This collection includes activities, assignments, and reading materials created specifically for educators.
For additional resources about Mono Lake, search the Microbial Life collection.