Geoethics is gaining wide recognition in the geoscience community. The following is a list of workshops and theme sessions that have been offered in the recent past. Take a look at the significant progress that has been made, and look for opportunities to participate!
The International Association for Promoting Geoethics (IAPG) is a multidisciplinary, scientific platform for widening the discussion and creating awareness about problems of Ethics applied to the Geosciences.
Theme Sessions at Meetings of Professional Societies
- 2015 European Geoscience Union, Vienna Austria April 12-17; EOS8 Geoethicsfor society: General aspects and case studies in geosciences. Convener: Silvia Peppoloni | Co-Conveners: Nic Bilham , Susan W. Kieffer , Eduardo Marone; Oral Sessions and Poster Session
- 2016 AGU Meeting: PA12B: Geoethics and Scientific Integrity: The Keys to Advancing the Geosciences and a Healthy Planet
- 2017 AGU Fall Meeting, How Do We Ensure Research and Scientific Integrity? A Diverse Panel Discusses the Critical Components and Challenges of Crafting and Implementing Effective Scientific Integrity Policies
- 35th International Geoscience Congress, 2016, Cape Town, South Africa Program and Abstracts sponsored by IAPG.
- EGU 2017
- Geoethics Sessions Scheduled at the 2018 Resources for Future Generations meeting, sponsored by IAPG
- 9th International Conference on Ethics in Biology, Engineering and Medicine 2018--includes theme sessions that overlap with interests in the Earth and Environmental Sciences. See abstracts from the 8th International Conference on Ethics in Biology, Engineering and Medicine 2015
- EGU 2018 Theme Sessions on Geoethics sponsored by IAPG
- 2016 AGU Heads and Chairs Meeting--8:30-10:30 Addressing harassment and improving workplace climate – Rebecca Haacker, Director SOARS Program UCAR and Carolyn Brinkworth, Director of Diversity, Education and Outreach, NCAR, David Mogk, Professor of Geology, Montana State University
- GSA 2016, workshop on Ethics on the Edge: Scientific Integrity and Geoethics for a Changing World, Presenters Linda Gundersen and David Mogk
- Getting to Fair: The Impact of Implicit Bias on Decision-Making--Blair Schneider and Mary Anne Holmes, 2017 at the AGU Heads and Chairs Meeting; see also presentation on The Role of the Bystander in Reducing Departmental Conflict by Mary Anne Holmes, Erika Marin-Spiotta and Deborah Love, and the presentation by Vince Cronin on Steps to Improve Teaching Geoethics in Your Department.
- Teaching Geoethics Across the Geoscience Curriculum--David Mogk, AGU/AGI Department Heads and Chairs Webinar Series, Friday, February 20, 2015
- Fundamentals of Professional Ethics: Elements and Examples, March 28, 2017 at 1:00pm EDT. Presenter is David Abbott
- The Development of Geoscience-related Ethics Codes Thursday, March 8, 2018, Presenter is David Abbott
Volumes on Geoethics
- Geoethics and geological culture. Reflections from the Geoitalia Conference 2011--Annals of Geophysics Vol 55 #3, 2012, Edited by Silvia Peppoloni and Giuseppe Di Capua.
Peppoloni S. and Di Capua G. (Eds.). Geoethics: the Role and Responsibility of Geoscientists. Geological Society, London, Special Publications,(2015),419, http://sp.lyellcollection.org/content/419/1.
Wyss M. & Peppoloni S.(Eds). Geoethics: Ethical Challenges and Case Studies in Earth Sciences.450 p. Elsevier (2014). http://store.elsevier.com/Geoethics/isbn-9780127999357/
Lollino G.,Arattano M.,Giardino M., Oliveira R., Peppoloni S. (Eds.) Engineering Geology for Society and Territory - Volume 7: Education, Professional Ethics and Public Recognition of Engineering Geology. XVII, 274 p. 103 illus., 86 illus. in color., Springer (2014). http://www.springer.com/earth+sciences+and+geography/environmental+science+%26+engineering/book/978-3-319-09302-4
- Gundersen, L.C. (editor), 2017, Scientific Integrity and Ethics in Geosciences, Wiley/AGU, 344 pp.
- Geoethics at the Heart of All Geoscience--Edited by Silvia Peppoloni, Giuseppe Di Capua, Peter T. Bobrowsky, Vincent S. Cronin, Annals of Geophysics Vol 60 Fast Track 7 (2017)
Contribute a Resource
We continue to solicit contributions from the geoscience community to help us build our collections of resources, teaching activities and case studies. Please access the following submission forms to recommend or contribute resources:
- Contribute a Case Study
- Contribute a Course Description for a course with a major component on geoethics.
- Contribute a Resource: journal articles, news articles, books, teaching activities.
- Join our email list: Share insights, ask questions, or network with other faculty. The link will also provide access for list members to the email list archives and allow you to unsubscribe.