Ethics on the Edge: Scientific Integrity and Geoethics in a Changing World
Leaders: Dr. Linda Gundersen, Ocean View Delaware, and Dr. David Mogk, Professor of Geology, Dept. of Earth Sciences, Montana State Univ.
Saturday September 24, 2016, 1-4 PM, Room 704/706 CCC
Explore the ethical and scientific integrity challenges in the geosciences today. Network and dialogue with your peers on issues of resource sustainability, hazard risk assessment, climate change, scientific integrity, open access, intellectual property, conflict of interest, sexual harassment, and gender and other biases. Learn the latest on ethical requirements and guidance from the Geological Society of America, American Geosciences Institute, the National Science Foundation, and the new report from the National Academy of Sciences, as well as the latest global perspectives on scientific integrity and the emerging field of geoethics. Discuss and learn strategies for identifying and resolving scientific integrity and geoethical challenges you may face in your career.
Bill Watterson (author Calvin and Hobbes) Kenyon College Commencement, May 20, 1990
This workshop will provide an interactive forum to explore the principles and practice of scientific integrity and geoethics in the geosciences. We will introduce a number of principles related to scientific integrity followed by case studies to explore the topics in more detail. A comprehensive collection of resources on these topics can be found at the Teaching Geoethics Across the Geoscience Curriculum website.
Scientific Integrity and Geoethics Part I: Principles (Linda Gundersen)
Download the Powerpoint presentation Scientific Integrity and Geoethics in a Changing World (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 2.1MB Sep24 16) by Linda Gundersen
Download 5 Minute Challenges (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 20kB Sep24 16) used in this first presentation.
1:00 Welcome and Introductions
- Introduction to Scientific Integrity, Ethics, and Trust
- What is Ethics?
- Microethics and Macroethics
- 5 Minute Challenge: Open Science
- What is Scientific Integrity?
- Principal of Universality of Science
- World Conference on Research Integrity
- Download the Singapore Statement on Research Integrity (Acrobat (PDF) 336kB Sep24 16)
- U.S. Federal Policy on Research Misconduct
- Committee on Publication Ethics
- How do I deal with Scientific Integrity Issue
- 5 Minute Challenge: Scientific Integrity
- Discrimination and Harassment
- Title IX and the Education Environment
- Sexual Harrassment
- 5 Minute Challenge: Harassment and Bias
- Geoscience Codes of Conduct
- Download GSA and AGI Codes of Conduct (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 22kB Sep24 16)
- 5 Minute Challenge: Climate Science Ethics
Scientific Integrity and Geoethics Part II: Practices (David Mogk)
Download the Powerpoint presentation Geoethics Strategies and Actions--Personal to Global (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 54.1MB Sep23 16) by David Mogk
2:30 Strategies and actions: personal to global (a "tool-kit" for ethical decision-making)
- The scope of Geoethics: intersection of geoscience, philosophy, economics and sociology
- 5 Minute Challenge: Who's Responsibility? (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 19kB Sep23 16)
- 5 Minute Challenge : Committee Conflict of Interest? (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 19kB Sep23 16)
- 5 Minute Challenge: Intellectual Property, Fabrication, Plagiarism (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 19kB Sep23 16)
- 5 minute Challenge: l`Aquilla Earthquake (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 20kB Sep23 16)
- 5 Minute Challenge: Exxon/Mobil
3:45 Summary, Reflection, and Workshop Feedback