Safety Aspects of 3D Scanning, Modeling, and Printing
Exclusive of the military and parenting, no job requires a person to go home hurt. Here are some safety aspects to consider when 3D scanning, modeling and printing.
- Laser safety
- X-ray safety for CT systems
- Modeling requires mostly human-computer interaction so repetetive strain injuries are the most ikely source of injury.
- FDM systems have hot parts (25-250 degrees C) that pose a burn hazard.
- Most systems have moving parts that can cause pinching and entrapment hazards.
- FDM systems have been shown to produce ultrafine particles that can cause respiratory ailments in a similar way to laser printers. It is a good idea to run FDM 3D Printers in a well-ventilated room to reduce the risck of exposure to ultrafine particles.