Pursuing an Academic Career Virtual Event Series
Negotiations in the Hiring Process: February 4, 2011
Leaders: Timothy Bralower, Pennsylvania State University and Scott Fendorf, Stanford University
Registration deadline: January 28, 2011. Registration for this event is closed.
This virtual event provides an opportunity to learn about negotiations from two faculty who will each offer their perspective on negotiating for a faculty position. The two presenters have experiences on both sides of the hiring process. Collectively, they have been on the faculty at five universities, have mentored graduate students and post-docs during the negotiation process, and have negotiated with potential faculty hires. Each has led sessions on negotiating for previous Preparing for an Academic Career workshops. Following the presentations, we will have time for questions and discussion. We hope you will join us!
Goals for participants are:
- To find out what can be negotiated for your first faculty position
- To learn more about how negotiation works and how it may vary in different settings
Duration - 1 hour
Format - Online web presentation via Elluminate web conference software with questions and discussion. Participants will receive an email with instructions detailing how to log into the event approximately one week prior to the event.
Registration - There is no registration fee, but registration is required to save a space. Space is limited to 45, so please be sure you can commit before registering. Registration closes when the spaces fill or January 28, 2011, whichever comes first. Please complete the registration form if you are interested and able to participate.
Please email Rachel Beane (rbeane AT bowdoin.edu) if you have any questions about this event or Monica Bruckner (mbruckne AT carleton.edu) if you have technical questions.
Presenterscareer profile for Dr. Bralower is available from the Career Prep website.
faculty web page at Stanford.
References and Resources
Watch the ScreenCast (MP4 Video 158.7MB Aug1 17) of this event.
Negotiations in the Hiring Process Presentation (Acrobat (PDF) 2.9MB Feb4 11) - by Scott Fendorf, Timothy Bralower, Rachel Beane, and Heather Macdonald, slides presented at the February 4 virtual event.
- Check out the event Discussion Board to see questions and answers from this virtual event and to ask questions or provide additional advice.
- The Negotiating What you Need to be Successful website from the Preparing for an Academic Career module, offers a wealth (and wide variety) of information about negotiations in the hiring process, including salary data, what can be negotiated, etc.
- More information on dual career couples.
- Some information regarding same-sex dual career couples: United States: Two Scientists and a Baby (a Science article with an example of a successful dual career same-sex couple) and some resources for GBLT job applicants
- You might find it helpful to listen to Slate's "Negotiation Academy" podcasts – 10 episodes, each 10 minutes; they lay out the basics of negotiation in a way that feels logical and approachable.