On the Cutting Edge Workshop: Pursuing an Academic Career
This workshop has already taken place.
Beginning an academic career is challenging. This workshop, offered at the Northeastern GSA meeting, offered resources for and insights into designing effective courses, writing clear research and teaching statements, and other aspects of applying to and starting academic positions.
Description and Goals
This workshop was targeted to those planning a future academic career, as well as those in the early stages of an academic career at a two-year college, four-year college, or university. Goals for participants were to:
- Discuss components of compelling teaching and research statements.
- Learn about effective course design.
- Share and critically review assignments and activities.
- Meet others pursuing academic careers.
- Leave feeling better prepared to communicate your own teaching and research ideas.
- Rachel Beane , Department of Geology, Bowdoin College
- Britt Argow, Department of Geosciences, Wellesley College