Pursuing an Academic Career:
An On the Cutting Edge Workshop for Graduate Students and Post-docs
This workshop has already taken place.
Beginning an academic career is challenging. This workshop offered resources for and insights into designing effective courses, writing clear research and teaching statements, and other aspects of applying to and starting academic positions.
Description and Goals
This workshop was targeted to graduate students and post-doctoral fellows planning a future academic career. Goals for participants were to:
- Discuss components of compelling teaching and research statements.
- Write effective course goals.
- Share and critically review assignments and activities.
- Meet others pursuing academic careers.
- Leave feeling better prepared to communicate your own teaching and research ideas.
- Rachel Beane , Department of Geology, Bowdoin College
- Jon Lewis, Department of Geoscience, Indiana University of Pennsylvania