Join Us at a Conference
Going to AGU, GSA, or another national or international conference? We invite you to check out these InTeGrate-related activities and presentations. If you have additional InTeGrate-related presentations, please email us so we can add it to the list.
Sunday, September 22:
- Viskupic, Karen, Egger, Anne E., McFadden, Rory R., Schmitz, Mark D., 2019. How Well Do Undergraduate Geoscience Programs Help Students Develop 21st Century Workforce Skills? A Bayesian Modeling Assessment, GSA Annual Meeting (Phoenix, Arizona).
Monday, September 23:
- Kingsbury, Sadie A., 2019. The Influence of Supporting and Advancing Geoscience Education at Two-Year Colleges Professional Development Program on a New Adjunct Professor and Her Students, GSA Annual Meeting (Phoenix, Arizona).
- Nagy, Elizabeth A., 2019. ROV's Hydrogen Bonds, Muffin Mining, and Silly Putty as Pasadena City College, GSA Annual Meeting (Phoenix, Arizona).
Tuesday, September 23:
- Egger, Anne E., 2019 Pathways to Performance Expectations Through Integrate and Investigation, GSA Annual Meeting (Phoenix, Arizona).
Earth Educators Rendezvous 2019
Monday, July 15th
- Gosselin, Dave, Egger, Anna, and Taber, John, 2019. Outcome of a Seven-Year Journal: Interdisciplinary Teaching for a Sustainable Future, Earth Educators' Rendezvous (Nashville, TN).
Wednesday, July 17th
- Manduca, Cathy, Bonine, Kevin, Charlevoix, Pandya, Rajul, and Turrin, Margie, 2019. The EarthConnections Alliance: Engaging Communities through Education, Earth Educators Rendezvous (Nashville, TN).
- O'Connell, Kristin, Pratt-Sitaula, Beth, Walker, Becca, Douglas, Bruce, Crosby, Benjamin, Charlevoix, Donna, 2019. Context Maters: Designing Data-Rich Geodesy Teaching Materials That Get Used, Earth Educators' Rendezvous (Nashville, TN).
Thursday, July 18th
- Schulterbrandt Gragg III, R.D., Iverson, E., Brethauer-Gay, H., Warford, J., Gilbert, L., Sheriff, K., and Manduca, C., 2019. Impact of InTeGrate Teaching Materials on Student Geoscience Interests, Literacy and Learning Outcomes at Historically Black Colleges and Universities, Earth Educators' Rendezvous (Nashville, TN).
- Schulterbrandt Gragg III, Richard D., Young, De'Etra, Jiru, Mintesinot, Jearald Jr., Ambrose, 2019. Grand Challenges in Earth Learning:Perspectives from Historically Black Colleges and Universities, Earth Educators' Rendezvous (Nashville, TN).
- Smay, Jessica, Teasdale, Rachel, and Walker, Becca, 2019. Teaching Introductory Geoscience with Data and Math in a Societal Context Using GETSI Modules, Earth Educator's Rendezvous (Nashville, TN).
- Warford, John, 2019. Teaching and Perpetuating Earth Stewardship Education, Earth Educator's Rendezvous (Nashville, TN).
- McConnell, David, 2019. A Beginner's Guide to Creating Short Videos for Geoscience Courses, Earth Educators' Rendezvous (Nashville, TN).
- Teasdale, Rachel and McConnell, David, 2019. Adapting Active Learning Strategies in Your Courses, Earth Educators' Rendezvous (Nashville, TN).
- Engaging environmental Justice in Geoscience Course: Monday, December 10, 2018, 4:00-6:00pm
Leaders: Cathy Manduca, Richard Gragg, Sarah Fortner, and Robert Rohbaugh
Description: Many of the topics we teach in undergraduate geoscience courses address issues where environmental justice is an important challenge. Engaging the relationship between geoscience and environmental justice can strengthen students' interest in geoscience and build their ability to work on complex societal issues in their geoscience careers. This workshop will focus on two strategies for incorporating environmental justice in undergraduate courses: case studies and service learning, as well as provide a discussion of the challenges of incorporating social issues in our courses.
- Bringing geoscience practices into the classroom: developing students' skills: Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 9:00am-12:00pm
Leader: Anne Egger
Description: The ways in which geoscientists think and learn about the Earth are skills we want students to gain in our geoscience courses along with content knowledge. This workshop will focus on enhancing your teaching to engage students at all levels—from introductory to advanced—in developing the critical skills of geoscience: learning from observation, thinking across temporal and spatial scales, and working with complex systems.
- Manduca, Cathryn Allen, Gilbert, Lisa A., Gragg, Richard Schulterbrandt, Iverson, Ellen A. R., Macdonald, Heather, McConnell, David A., Nagy-Shadman, Elizabeth Ann, Steer, David N., 2018. Community-Based Research Teams: Examples from On the Cutting Edge and InTeGrate Projects, AGU Fall Meeting (Washington, D.C.).
- Huyck Orr, Cailin, Scherer, Hannah H., Forbes, Cory, Bruckner, Monica Z., 2018. Teaching about Food, Water and Energy in the Context of Sustainability: Opportunities and connections with the InTeGrate STEP Center, AGU Fall Meeting (Washington, D.C.).
- McConnell, David A., 2018. Bringing a Punk Do-it-Yourself Ethos to Creating Geoscience Learning Resources, AGU Fall Meeting (Washington, D.C.).
- Manduca, C.A., et al., April 2018. InTeGrate project: Interdisciplinary Teaching about the Earth for a Sustainable Future, European Geosciences Union General Assembly (Vienna, Austria).
Earth Educators Rendezvous 2018
- Fisher, M., Holmberg, T., Hanselman, J., and Rook, D., July 18, 2018. Supporting a Sustainable Future through Geoscience Integration in Non-Geoscience Courses, Earth Educators' Rendezvous (Lawrence, KS).
- NAGT Booth #314 opens - Sunday, November 4, 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. Opening Reception: 5:30-7 p.m. Booth opens at 10am Monday-Wednesday and closes at 6:30pm on Monday and Tuesday and at 2pm on Wednesday.
Sunday, November 4:
- Nagy-Shadman, Elizabeth, 2018. Using InTeGrate's "Living on the Edge" Teaching Materials in a Two-Year-College Physical Geology Classroom: Enhancing the Societal Relevance of Plate Tectonic Hazards and Risks, GSA Annual Meeting (Indianapolis, IN).
- Thompson, Cara K., Schnetzer, Astrid, Kinzel, Michelle, 2018. Student-Centered Teaching Demonstration for Ocean Acidification, GSA Annual Meeting (Indianapolis, IN).
Monday, November 5:
- Haveles, Andrew W., Awalt, Mitchell B., Macdonald, R. Heather, Beane, Rachel J., Doser, Diane I., Ebanks, Sue C., Riihimaki, Catherine A., Villalobos, Joshua, Weissman, Gary S., and Manduca, Cathryn A., 2018. Seeding a System of Broadening Participation in the Geosciences through Traveling Workshops, GSA Annual Meeting (Indianapolis, IN).
- Bruckner, Monica Z., Manduca, Cathryn A., Fox, Sean P., Iverson, Ellen, O'Connell, Kristin, Sheriff, Kathryn, Egger, Anne E., 2018. Engaging Students: Understanding Earth in the Context of Societal Issues through the InTeGrate Teaching Materials, GSA Annual Meeting (Indianapolis, IN).
- Teasdale, R., Scherer, Hannah H., Forbes, Cory, Boger, Rebecca A., Holder, Lauren N. 2018. A Call for More Geoscience Education Research on Teaching about Earth in the Context of Societal Problems, GSA Annual Meeting (Indianapolis, IN).
Tuesday, November 6:
- Davis, Felicia, 2018. Building HBCU Pathways to Geosciences, GSA Annual Meeting (Indianapolis, IN).
- Beane, Rachel, J., Macdonald, R. Heather, McNeal, Karen S., 2018. National Geoscience Faculty Survey Results on Education Practices that Support Diversity and Inclusion in Undergraduate Courses, GSA Annual Meeting (Indianapolis, IN).
- InTeGrate-Related Session: 145: D63. Accuracy and the Pipeline: Analyzing the Relationship Between Student Perceptions of Ability and Exam Performance Across Different Types of Institutions. Tuesday, November 6, 10:40 a.m. to 10:55 a.m. GSA Annual Meeting (Indianapolis, IN).
- Teasdale, Rachel, Ryker, Katherine, Viskupic, Karen., Manduca, Cathryn, 2018. Active Learning Practices in the Geosciences: Learning from 300+ Classroom Observations, GSA Annual Meeting (Indianapolis, IN).
- Viskupic, Karen, Ryker, Katherine, Teasdale, Rachel, Manduca, Cathryn, 2018. Evidence that Teaching with InTeGrate Results in Active Learning Practices, GSA Annual Meeting (Indianapolis, IN).