Resources Beyond EDDIE
A number of projects and initiatives have put together resources related to teaching with data. Below is a community-sourced collection of other projects and programs with resources for teaching quantitative reasoning and teaching with data.
Teaching with Data - Pedagogical Guidance and Example Activities
- Pedagogy in Action: Teaching with Data presents instructors with a detailed map for how data can be incorporated into instruction. The module describes different levels of data integration from having students learn by watching an instructor work with data to having students manipulate and analyze data on their own. Compiled by Nathan Grawe, Carleton College.
- Tools for Teaching with Data, from On the Cutting Edge, describes geoscience tools such as data viewers, mapping programs, interactive databases or visualization programs that have applications in geoscience education.
- Teaching with Data, Simulations and Models, from On the Cutting Edge project, provides resources to help faculty use real-world data sets and models, and simulations of geoscience processes in the classroom effectively and easily, and contains access to teaching materials and tips from the classroom and literature about the supporting pedagogy.
- The Math You Need When You Need It seeks to help remediate mathematics for introductory geoscience students through student-centered, online, asynchronous tutorials. Each topic is presented in a geoscience context with student pages that (1) introduce the concept and present an algorithm for solving problems, (2) a set of practice problems with worked answers, and (3) provide an opportunity for students to show what they learned with an online quiz. The tutorials are designed to give students quantitative knowledge they need, just before they will use it in a concurrent geoscience course.
- Teaching Computation with MATLAB is a collaboration between MathWorks and SERC to provide resources to help educators incorporate computation into their classrooms and engage with a community of educators interested in improving the teaching of computational skills.
- The Teaching with Spreadsheets Across the Curriculum project developed educational spreadsheet modules that enhance quantitative literacy wherever quantitative problems arise in the undergraduate curriculum. A sister collection, Geology of National Parks, utilized data from national parks.
- The Teaching with Data site guide from the SERC website provides a list of resources around teaching with data across SERC.
- Teaching with Data from DLESE Digital Library for Earth System Education is an interdisciplinary site includes information about why one might wish to use data in a course, examples of effective use, on-line access to data sets and tools, classroom activities, ideas for evaluation and assessment, and a discussion forum.
- UNAVCO Education Resources provides modules, activities, and other resources for teaching about topics related to geodesy.
- OOI for educators aims to integrate real-time ocean data into undergraduate science coursework to expand students' understanding of ocean processes and issues affecting the ocean.
- InTeGrate (Interdisciplinary Teaching about Earth for a Sustainable Future) teaching modules provide rigorously tested and reviewed teaching materials that challenge students to address interdisciplinary problems, engage in geoscientific habits of mind, work with authentic geoscience data and develop system thinking.
- PENGUIN (Polar ENgagement through GUided INquiry) Computational Guided Inquiry (CGI) modules are 1-2 day activities for undergraduate courses in Geosciences, Economics, Computer Science, Physics, Quantum Mechanics, Thermodynamics, and Environmental Science, from intro-level to advanced. Each module is a stand-alone, and students' learning of disciplinary topics is enhanced through participating in guided inquiry in an active-learning framework scaffolded by a computational tool, using real-world polar research and data. Student engagement is fostered by linkages made between polar research and climate change.
Tutorials & Courses
- Spreadsheet Data Analysis tutorials, from HHMI Biointeractive
- Khan Academy Tutorials
- R Programming - Free online course for learning R (tidyverse is a package for R for data wrangling and visualization)
Community Connections and Networks
- EREN Ecological Research as Education Network "seeks to create a model for collaborative ecological research that generates high-quality, publishable data involving undergraduate students and faculty at primarily undergraduate institutions (PUIs)."
- Global Edge offers "a comprehensive research tool for academics, students and businesspeople. Connect with over 47,000 people using the gE Network while tapping into a directory of over 5000 quality resources."