Radiometric Dating Isochron exercise
This activity was selected for the On the Cutting Edge Reviewed Teaching Collection
This activity has received positive reviews in a peer review process involving five review categories. The five categories included in the process are
- Scientific Accuracy
- Alignment of Learning Goals, Activities, and Assessments
- Pedagogic Effectiveness
- Robustness (usability and dependability of all components)
- Completeness of the ActivitySheet web page
For more information about the peer review process itself, please see http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/review.html.
This page first made public: Feb 10, 2012
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
How the activity is situated in the course
Content/concepts goals for this activity
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
Other skills goals for this activity
Description of the activity/assignment
Determining whether students have met the goals
Download teaching materials and tips
- Rb-Sr isochron problem (Microsoft Word 555kB Feb8 12)
- Rb-Sr Isochron plot solution (Excel 18kB Feb8 12)
- Weber, B. and Kohler, H. (1999) Sm–Nd, Rb–Sr and U–Pb geochronology of a Grenville Terrane in Southern Mexico: origin and geologic history of the Guichicovi Complex. Precambrian Research, v. 96, n. 3-4, p. 245-262.
- Powell. J.L., (2001), Mysteries of Terra Firma.
- Dalrymple, B., (1991), The Age of the Earth.