Exploring Earthquake Hazards with GIS
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
Familiarity with ArcGIS software is desirable, but not necessary.
How the activity is situated in the course
Content/concepts goals for this activity
- Students will be able, using GIS, to locate the largest and most destructive earth-quakes
- Students will be able, using GIS, to compare the locations of large earthquakes with the locations of deadly earthquakes
- Students will be able to investigate changes in the distribution of deadly earthquakes over time.
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
- Exploring earthquake and tsunami hazards is a complex activity, including, among others,
- examining earthquake data to locate the largest and most destructive earthquakes;
- investigating deadly earthquakes patterns through history;
- discovering which factors contribute most to an earthquake's destructive potential;
- exploring the relationship between population, national wealth, and seismic risk.
Other skills goals for this activity
Description of the activity/assignment
Determining whether students have met the goals
Teaching materials and tips
- Activity Description/Assignment (Acrobat (PDF) PRIVATE FILE 224kB Jul20 07)
- Instructors Notes (Acrobat (PDF) PRIVATE FILE 42kB Jul20 07)
- Solution Set (Acrobat (PDF) PRIVATE FILE 231kB Jul20 07)
- Data file ZIP format ( PRIVATE FILE 5.8MB Jul20 07)