Exploring Earthquake Hazards with GIS
This activity was selected for the On the Cutting Edge Reviewed Teaching Collection
This activity has received positive reviews in a peer review process involving five review categories. The five categories included in the process are
- Scientific Accuracy
- Alignment of Learning Goals, Activities, and Assessments
- Pedagogic Effectiveness
- Robustness (usability and dependability of all components)
- Completeness of the ActivitySheet web page
For more information about the peer review process itself, please see http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/review.html.
This activity has benefited from input from faculty educators beyond the author through a review and suggestion process. This review took place as a part of a faculty professional development workshop where groups of faculty reviewed each others' activities and offered feedback and ideas for improvements. To learn more about the process On the Cutting Edge uses for activity review, see http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/review.html.
This page first made public: Jul 20, 2007
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
Familiarity with ArcGIS software is desirable, but not necessary.
How the activity is situated in the course
Content/concepts goals for this activity
- Students will be able, using GIS, to locate the largest and most destructive earth-quakes
- Students will be able, using GIS, to compare the locations of large earthquakes with the locations of deadly earthquakes
- Students will be able to investigate changes in the distribution of deadly earthquakes over time.
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
- Exploring earthquake and tsunami hazards is a complex activity, including, among others,
- examining earthquake data to locate the largest and most destructive earthquakes;
- investigating deadly earthquakes patterns through history;
- discovering which factors contribute most to an earthquake's destructive potential;
- exploring the relationship between population, national wealth, and seismic risk.
Other skills goals for this activity
Description of the activity/assignment
Determining whether students have met the goals
Download teaching materials and tips
- Activity Description/Assignment (Acrobat (PDF) 224kB Jul20 07)
- Instructors Notes (Acrobat (PDF) 42kB Jul20 07)
- Solution Set (Acrobat (PDF) 231kB Jul20 07)
- Data file ZIP format ( 5.8MB Jul20 07)