Consequences of Modern Energy Use: A Remote Sensing Analysis of the Gulf Oil Spill using ArcGIS Software
This activity was selected for the On the Cutting Edge Reviewed Teaching Collection
This activity has received positive reviews in a peer review process involving five review categories. The five categories included in the process are
- Scientific Accuracy
- Alignment of Learning Goals, Activities, and Assessments
- Pedagogic Effectiveness
- Robustness (usability and dependability of all components)
- Completeness of the ActivitySheet web page
For more information about the peer review process itself, please see https://serc.carleton.edu/teachearth/activity_review.html.
This activity has benefited from input from faculty educators beyond the author through a review and suggestion process. This review took place as a part of a faculty professional development workshop where groups of faculty reviewed each others' activities and offered feedback and ideas for improvements. To learn more about the process On the Cutting Edge uses for activity review, see http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/review.html.
This page first made public: Aug 27, 2011
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
How the activity is situated in the course
Content/concepts goals for this activity
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
Other skills goals for this activity
Description of the activity/assignment
Determining whether students have met the goals
Download teaching materials and tips
- Activity Description/Assignment: Student worksheet (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 18kB Oct18 10)
- Instructors Notes: Instructor's Notes (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 11kB Oct18 10)
- NASA Oil Spill Gallery - http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/oilspill/oil_spill_gallery.html
- Gulf of Mexico Oil Slick Images: Frequently Asked Questions - http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/OilSlick/ This page from NASA's Earth Observatory provides guidance for interpreting imagery of the BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill, such as understanding the effects of strong sunlight and differentiating oil from other variations on the ocean's surface.
- Oil Spill Visualizations form the Cutting Edge visualization collection