Leader Timeline: Preparing for the Workshop
We ask that you do several things in advance of the workshop so that we can all be well-prepared for it. Here's a list of those preparatory activities and their deadlines.
By April 21:
- Fill in the relevant portions of the registration form: contact info, photo, courses taught and research interests, and research release.
- Inform us of your travel plans.
- Arrival: We will have a leader meeting on Sunday, June 6, so you should plan to arrive on June 5 (your choice of arrival time). You are all invited to Heather's house for dinner June 5, if you are in Williamsburg in time. (This is optional.)
- Departure: For this you will need to decide whether to make the optional visit to NSF. For information on travel options, see the logistics page. If you are not going to NSF, you can leave from the Williamsburg area June 11. If you are going to NSF, you can either leave from DC late the evening of June 11 or leave from Williamsburg on June 12. (We will put you up the night of the 11th if you are going to NSF and returning to Williamsburg that night.)
- Ticket purchase: We can purchase your ticket for you or reimburse your travel costs (you will need to submit a receipt to get reimbursed). Contact Heather if you'd like us to purchase your ticket and she'll put you in touch with someone who will handle the details.
- If you are going to NSF, choose your sessions.
- Richelle will ask most of you to read and comment on 8-10 one-page research proposal summaries. If you are asked to do this, you will also lead a group of 4-5 participants at the workshop through a peer-review of their own proposal summaries. Richelle will have detailed instructions for you as the workshop approaches.
By May 27:
- Plan your workshop sessions. Our web page on designing your workshop, particularly the section on developing the workshop program, has some cogent advice based on our years of experience running Cutting Edge workshops.
- Upload your presentations and/or handouts so that we can include them in the workshop notebooks if that is what you'd like.
By May 31:
- Edit the leader workspace page: list topics about which you are willing to have one-on-one conversations (individual consultations) with participants.
Prior to leaving home:
- Download the workshop health form, complete it, and bring it with you to the workshop in a sealed envelope.
- Print out (and bring with you) this annotated map of the campus. (Acrobat (PDF) 68kB Nov28 12)
- Arrive in Williamsburg. If you arrive by dinner time, join us for dinner at Heather's house.
- Leader meeting, all day. We'll review the program, work through certain sessions, plan transitions, and answer your questions about the schedule.
- Workshop begins in the evening.