July 31-August 3, 2008
The deadline for applications was March 14, 2008.
National Weather Center, University of Oklahoma
This workshop is designed specifically for graduate students and post-doctoral fellows who are interested in pursuing academic careers. Faculty members and administrators will provide guidance and information that will help participants to be stronger candidates for academic positions and to succeed in academic jobs. Session topics focus on becoming both a successful teacher and researcher. Each participant will take home ideas to improve teaching right now and will develop a personal action plan.
Note: We have also developed a set of online resources for folks who are preparing for an academic career in the geosciences. These webpages focus on the job search process, preparing to teach, and moving your research forward. You do not have to attend the workshop to view these pages.
Follow the links below for information about each of the workshop conveners and leaders. In most cases, the linked pages have the leaders' answers to questions about their career path, job responsibilities (including challenges), balancing personal and professional responsibilities, and more.
- Heather Macdonald, ( This site may be offline. ) College of William and Mary
- Robyn Wright Dunbar, Stanford University
- Eliot Atekwana, Department of Geology, Oklahoma State University (read about Eliot and Estella Atekwana's dual career job search)
- Kurt Friehauf, Department of Physical Sciences, Kutztown University of Pennsylvania
- Jennifer Furlong, Career Services, University of Pennsylvania
- Ellen Martin, Department of Geological Sciences, University of Florida
- Kirsten Menking, Department of Earth Science and Geography, Vassar College
- Wayne Powell, Department of Geology, Brooklyn College
- John Snow, Dean of the College of Atmospheric and Geographical Sciences, University of Oklahoma
- David Steer, Department of Geology and Environmental Science, University of Akron
- Al Trujillo, Department of Earth, Space & Aviation Sciences, Palomar College
Cutting Edge Staff:
- Karin Kirk, Science Education Resource Center, Carleton College
- Carol Ormand Science Education Resource Center, Carleton College