Undergraduate Teaching for a Sustainable Future
Infuse Sustainability into Your Course
Bringing sustainability into your teaching can establish relevance, bridge course content to current topics in the news, and connect course material to other disciplines.
Help Your Students Become Expert Thinkers about the Earth System
The Earth is a very complex system, and geoscience requires some novel ways of thinking. Teach your students to think like geoscientists and to make connections to other disciplines
Inspire Your Students to Make a Difference through Civic Engagement in Societal Issues
Help your students make connections between what they learn in the classroom and the 'real world', get involved in the community, and prepare students for the workforce with hands-on experience.
Bring the Earth into Your Teaching: from Engineering to English
Many societal issues are related to the Earth. Build connections between faculty and differing perspectives to strengthen your teaching.
- InTeGrate Pedagogy: Themes and Strategies for Teaching about Geoscience and Societal Issues describes the five themes that frame the materials the InTeGrate project creates and provides useful strategies for teaching about sustainability.
- The Pedagogy in Action site provides a gateway to descriptions and supporting materials for over 50 pedagogic methods, including how to use them in class and example activities that can be adapted to fit your classroom.
- The Metacognition and the Affective Domain modules, from On the Cutting Edge, provide the research behind and tips for engaging students in their learning.
- The Course Design website and tutorial offer an easy-to-apply strategy for designing courses that incorporate effective teaching methods in any discipline. A synopsis of the tutorial is also available. While aimed at a geoscience audience, the materials are relevant for many disciplines.
- The Teaching Introductory Courses module, from On the Cutting Edge, provides helpful tips and resources to aid in course design, teaching large classes, motivating students, addressing misconceptions, and more. While aimed at a geoscience audience, the materials in this module can be applied to a range of disciplines.
- The Sustainability Improves Student Learning (SISL) project provides teaching resources for teaching with a sustainability focus to engage and motivate students about their learning.
- The On the Cutting Edge Classroom Observation Project (RTOP) project provides tips for incorporating more student-centered teaching into your classroom.
- Site Guides provide descriptions and links to projects and pages organized around a topic or theme. Check out our Site Guides for: