This material was developed and reviewed through the GETSI curricular materials development process. This rigorous, structured process includes:
- team-based development to ensure materials are appropriate across multiple educational settings.
- multiple iterative reviews and feedback cycles through the course of material development with input to the authoring team from both project editors and an external assessment team.
- real in-class or field camp/course testing of materials in multiple courses with external review of student assessment data.
- multiple reviews to ensure the materials meet the GETSI materials rubric which codifies best practices in curricular development, student assessment and pedagogic techniques.
- created or reviewed by content experts for accuracy of the science content.
This page first made public: Apr 24, 2018
Strengths of the Module
- This field-focused module balances brief, technical skill-building exercises against more in-depth assignments that require students to use higher order thinking to solve issues regarding technique appropriateness, trouble-shooting, and data interpretation.
- Units are written broadly so they can be applied in a variety of geologic settings and research questions. Most exercises can also be extracted from the module and used independently.
- The modules can be implemented as either labs within semester-based courses or as a series of activities within a geology or environmental field camp.
- The skills learned regarding the collection and interpretation of GNSS data are practical in nature and can be valuable to both industry and research applications.
Great fit for majors-level classes in:
- field geology
- environmental geology
- geographic information systems
- structural geology
- any course with an Earth science field component
Table of Contents
- Instructor Materials: Overview of the High Precision Positioning with Static and Kinematic GPS/GNSS Module
- Unit 1: GPS/GNSS Fundamentals
- Unit 2: Kinematic GPS/GNSS Methods
- Unit 2.1: Measuring Topography with Kinematic GPS/GNSS
- Unit 2.2: Change Detection with Kinematic GPS/GNSS
- Unit 3: Static GPS/GNSS Methods
- GPS/GNSS Data Sets
- Student Materials
- Instructor Stories
- Join the Community