Click on the thumbnails to see larger versions of the graphs.
Almost all departments said that there were expectations to contribute significantly to teaching non-majors.
Almost all departments said that it was important to integrate research and education.
- Some expressed annoyance that there is even a question about this; it is a given
- By far the most common effort is to provide a research experience for undergraduates
- Several indicated that teaching is very important in annual reviews and promotion cases (e.g., "people don't get tenure unless they take both very seriously")
- Flexible teaching/research loads that don't go to zero in either area
- Faculty mentoring of junior faculty by senior faculty known for their effective integration of research and education
- Hiring faculty in geoscience education positions