Resources for Designing and Implementing
Faculty interested in incorporating service-learning into their courses have many resources to support their efforts.You can find service-learning resources already available on or near your campus, on the internet, or in books or journals. One of the best ways to get started is to talk with faculty who have already incorporated service-learning into their classes.
Training in Designing a Service-Learning Course
Training in designing and delivering a service-learning course may be available from two sources:
- Your state Campus Compact office. http://www.compact.org/about/state
- Your own campus in an office called Community Service, Community Relations, Service Learning, Community Based Learning, Community Resource Center, Civic Engagement, or Faculty Teaching Center. If it isn't obvious who does this on your campus, the above state Campus Compact contact may have a contact at your school.
- FL International University lists creative service-learning ideas for classes, organized by course type
- Use the following list of questions (http://www.servicelearning.umn.edu/crimson/dependancies/multimedia/a0512bad870d4a1d96ad480d4a0989d4.pdf) to structure the guide your discussion of the course design. University of Minnesota
- Service-Learning Project Action Plan Template
- Search the Campus Compact and Learn and Serve America databases for service-learning syllabi
- The 8-block model for designing a service learning project.
- The InTeGrate project provides advice for connect classroom learning with societal issues.
Tools and Templates
- Service-Learning Hours Log (Microsoft Word 41kB Apr13 10)
- Letter of Introduction of Student Service to Community Partner (Microsoft Word 143kB Apr13 10)
- Letter for Recruit Community Partners (Microsoft Word 47kB Apr13 10)
- Inter-Institutional Agreement for Service-Learning (Microsoft Word 55kB Sep14 10)
Journals and Books
- List of Journals that Feature Articles on Service-Learning and/or Community Engagement
- SERC references to service-learning articles and publications