Download the structure for interactive viewingChoose one of the options below, based on which program you want to view the structure with.
For viewing with the demo version of CrystalMaker (more info)
For viewing with the commercial version of CrystalMaker (more info)
For viewing with XtalDraw (more info)
QuestionsBefore proceeding, choose the Model -> Ball and Stick rendering option to better see where the C atoms are located in the structure.
- Consider only the bonding within a single horizontal plane. What is the coordination number for each C atom within this plane?
- What is the bond angle between an C atom and its two nearest neighbors in the horizontal planes?
- View the structure down the c-axis (perpendicular to a plane of carbon atoms). If you rotate it 30, 45, 60, 90, 120, or 180° about the center of a ring of C atoms, does it remain the same?
- Now try a rotation centered on any C atom. If you rotate it 30, 45, 60, 90, 120, or 180° about any C atom, does it remain the same?
- Does the structure have any mirror planes? You may have to add more atoms to the structure to evaluate this: Transform -> Set Range.
- How does the structure of graphite control its hardness and cleavage?