Lab 1: Preparing for the Voyage
The lab activity was developed by Jeff Lockwood and Sarah Hill of TERC and Alison Mote of the Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders for the EarthLabs project.
Summary and Learning Objectives
In Part A, students learn about the ship they will board for their journey to the Southern Alaska coast: the JOIDES Resolution. How is it equipped to drill into the ocean floor and find clues about past climate? In Part B, students do a career matching activity and meet the crew of scientists who will gather the core data for their final project. In Part C, students learn where their voyage will take them and why the sites for drilling cores were chosen.
After completing this Lab students will be able to answer the following:
- What is the IODP is and what role does it play in helping us understand our planet's history?
- What JOIDES Resolution instruments and technologies allow scientists to collect data and extract relevant data from the sediment cores and bore holes?
- What set of scientific and engineering careers/training are required in order for the JOIDES Resolution to accomplish its science and mission goals?
- How do scientists work together to accomplish the expedition's science mission?
- Evaluate how scientists carry out scientific research, both individually and as members of a team.
Activity Overview and Teaching Materials
Detailed overview of what students will do in each lab activity, how long it will take, and what materials are required to complete the lab.
Download and print files needed for each lab activity, including images, data tables, and Stop and Think questions.
Teaching Notes and Tips
What you need to prepare ahead of time, and general recommendations for classroom implementation, as well as guidelines and facilitation tips for leading class discussions.
Suggestions for how to use Student Notebooks for Lab 1.
There are several options for assessment of student understanding of material introduced in this lab. Choose from the following list, or create your own assessments.
A list of the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) supported by this lab.
Explore background information and content extensions related to Lab 1