Building Pathways for Success: Supporting Student Transfer from Two-Year Colleges to Four-Year Colleges and Universities
- Explore promising practices and share strategies for supporting transfer students in their pathways from their first geoscience course at a community college to graduation from a four-year college or university
- Share and learn from others, increasing communication and collaboration of those interested in building pathways to success for transfer students
- Develop individual or team action plans and get feedback from other participants
Welcome, introductions, workshop goals, your goals (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 1.2MB Jul20 17)
8:45-9:15 Tales of transfer: Discussion of scenarios
9:15-10:00 Transfer journeys: Supporting student transfer at critical points from recruitment to transfer and beyond (gallery tour)
10:15-11:15 Successful programs and assessment (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 2.4MB Jul20 17): Program-level efforts and 2YC-4YCU partnerships including examples from NSF-funded GeoPaths programs
Diane Doser (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 149kB Jul20 17), University of Texas at El Paso (workspace page)
Joel Moore (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 365kB Jul20 17), Towson University (workspace page)
Kusali Gamage (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 134kB Jul20 17), Austin Community College (workspace page)
Aisha Morris (Acrobat (PDF) 7.7MB Jul20 17), UNAVCO (workspace page)
Deron Carter (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 978kB Jul20 17), Linn-Benton Community College (workspace page)
Kim Hannula (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 113kB Jul20 17), Fort Lewis College (workspace page)
11:30 Adjourn for the day
7:45-8:15 Optional bonus session: Insights about the Improving Undergraduate STEM Education: Pathways into Geoscience (IUSE:GEOPATHS) program, a conversation with Brandon Jones, National Science Foundation
8:30-8:45 Report from daily roadcheck, overview of day
8:45:10:00 Small group discussions/work sessions on strategies and practices to support transfer, short report outs. Specific topics to be determined based on participant interests. Some possible topics include:
- Provide supportive advising with a focus on students' long-term goals
- Building partnerships: connections and collaborations between 2YCs & 4YCUs to promote and support transfer
- The role of undergraduate research in supporting transfer
- Provide academic experiences that prepare students well for transfer
- Strategies for recruiting students into the geosciences (and majors)
- Supporting the transition: Strategies for addressing academic, social, and financial issues
- Reducing transfer shock, helping transfer students be successful within the 4YC community
- From a 2YC perspective, how to convince 4YCU faculty of the value of working with transfer students?
- Are there sensitivities/roadblocks at 2YCs that 4YCU faculty should be aware of?
- From a 4YCU perspective, how to convince 4YCU faculty of the value of working with transfer students?
10:30-11:00 Feedback on your action plans (in trios)
11:00-11:30 Reflections, closing remarks, and workshop evaluation
National Science Foundation program: Improving Undergraduate STEM Education: Pathways into Geoscience (IUSE: GEOPATHS)
Sign up for the Geo2YC Email List.