April 4, 2014
Duration - 2 hrs - 9-11 am (PST) | 10-12 pm (MST) | 11-1 pm (CST) | 12-2 pm (EST)
Format - Online web presentation via phone and Adobe Connect web conference software followed by discussion and collaborate problem solving.
A review and discussion of how geoscience faculty and others use and assess the effectiveness of videos in their classes.
- Review best practices for using videos most effectively and assessing its effectiveness
- Begin the development of new resources including:
- Samples of video-based activity sheets
- Ways in which video can be used in the classroom, including review of the flipped classroom
- Continue the development of ongoing web resources from previous sessions including assessment templates and overall best practices
Tentative program (subject to change)
- 10-minutes review of online discussion (homework from previous session) - What is the most effective way to use video in courses? How do we know they are effective? (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 1.4MB Apr4 14)
- 20-minutes: 5-minute group review of workspace pages
- Group 7: Video Technology Review -- Presenter: Scott Brande
- Group 8: Troubleshooting -- Presenter: Jenda Johnsen
- Group 9: Storyboarding -- Presenter: Al Trujillo
- Group 10: What makes a good educational video resource -- Presenter: Mike Brudzinksi
- What resources could you use or what topics would you still like to see us address or address more deeply either in the final session or in future collaborations?
- What are the pros and cons of using shared video resources? If cons, how can we get around them?
- What are good ways to keep a collaborative community working together?
- What are future projects you'd like to see? Next steps?
- Developing sample video-based activity sheets
- Using Videos to Flip a Class
- Using videos to supplement lecture (self study/review) -- pros/cons and challenges
- Assessing the effectiveness of video use in a course
References and Resources
- BOOK: e-Learning and the Science of Instruction -- Proven Guidelines for the consumers and designers of multimedia learning -- Ruth Colvin Clark and Richard E. Mayer -- 3rd edition (2011)
- BOOK: The Cambridge Handbook of Multimedia Learning -- New York, New York: Cambridge University Press -- Richard E. Mayer (2005)
- BOOK: Multimedia Learning -- Cambridge University Press, 2nd edition -- Richard E. Mayer (2009)
- BOOK: Creating Significant Learning Experiences: An Integrated Approach to Designing College Courses -- Jossey-Bass -- L. Dee Fink (2003)
- REPORT: Evaluation of Evidence -based practices in Online learning: A meta-analysis and review of Online learning studies -- US Department of Education - B. Means, Y. Toyama, R. Murphy, M. Bakia, and K. Jones (2010)
- PAPER: Inverting the classroom: A gateway to creating an inclusive learning environment -- M. Lage, G. Platt, and M. Treglia (2000) -- Journal of Economic Education, v.31, #1, p.30-43.
- PAPER: Instructional video in e-learning: Assessing the impact of interactive video on learning effectiveness-- D. Zhang, L. Zhou, R.O. Briggs, and J.F. Nunamaker, Jr., (2006) -- Information Management, v.43, #1, p.15-27
- PAPER: Evaluating a web lecture intervention in a human-computer interaction course --J.A. Day and J.D. Foley (2006) -- IEEE Transactions on Education, v.49, #4, p.420-431.
- PAPER: Comparing the efficacy of multimedia modules with traditional textbooks for learning introductory physics content-- T. Stelzer, G. Gladding, J.P. Mestre, and D.T. Brookes (2009) -- American Journal of Physics, v.77, #2, p.184-190.
- PAPER: Impact of multimedia learning modules on an introductory course on electricity and magnetism-- T. Stelzer, D.T. Brookes, G. Gladding, and J.P. Mestre, (2010) -- American Journal of Physics, v.78, #7, p.755-759.
- PAPER: Using multimedia modules to better prepare students for introductory physics lecture-- Z. Chen, T. Stelzer, G. Gladding, (2010) -- Physical Review Special Topics, Physics Education Research, v.6, p.1-5.
David McConnell's presentation on pedagogical research and assessment:
Review of small group work from previous session: