Quiz and in-class worksheet
This activity was selected for the On the Cutting Edge Reviewed Teaching Collection
This activity has received positive reviews in a peer review process involving five review categories. The five categories included in the process are
- Scientific Accuracy
- Alignment of Learning Goals, Activities, and Assessments
- Pedagogic Effectiveness
- Robustness (usability and dependability of all components)
- Completeness of the ActivitySheet web page
For more information about the peer review process itself, please see http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/review.html.
This page first made public: May 17, 2005
For 1st year 'Introduction to Geochemistry'
- a pre-lecture quiz reviewing the previous weeks' lecture materials
- an in-class worksheet allowing students to practice skills relating to chemical reactions
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
- The students must have completed the first five lectures of the course to attempt the quiz
- The students must be attending the lecture on chemical reactions to attempt the worksheet</li
How the activity is situated in the course
Content/concepts goals for this activity
- The goals of the quiz are to serve as a refresher for previous lectures on the atom, periodic table, bonding, mineral chemistry and chemical reactions.
- The goals of the worksheet are to give students practical experience and feedback on doing exercises related to chemical reactions.
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
- The higher order thinking skills goal for the quiz is synthesis of ideas.
- The higher order thinking skills goal for the worksheet is analysis of data.
Other skills goals for this activity
Description of the activity/assignment
- In this brief pre-lecture quiz, students are asked to consider concepts that they have learned in previous lectures, and to answer the questions in a short period of time; hopefully without the aid of lecture notes. The quiz allows students to settle into the lecture, arrive late (many are coming from work), and refresh their geochemical knowledge from previous weeks.
- In this worksheet students balance chemical equations, work out numbers of moles and masses of compounds, and determine delta H and delta G for a common Earth-surface reaction. This is appropriate for first-year Geology/Earth Sciences students.
Determining whether students have met the goals
Download teaching materials and tips
- Activity Description/Assignment (Microsoft Word 21kB May5 05)
- Solution Set (Microsoft Word 22kB May5 05)