If you have dropped into this Course Design Tutorial from somewhere else, you might wish to start at the introduction
, or table of contents
Resources on Course Design, Teaching, Learning, and Assessment
Course Design References
- Understanding by Design by Grant Wiggins and Jay McTighe, 1998. This book describes a "backwards design" model for course development and presents six "facets of understanding."
- Creating Significant Learning Experiences: An Integrated Approach to Designing College Courses by Dee Fink, 2003. This book encourages a shift from a content-centered approach to a learning-centered approach as a way to develop courses that will provide "significant learning experiences" for students.
Teaching, Learning, and Assessment References
- Tools for Teaching by Barbara G. Davis, 1993. An excellent resources that presents tips for different teaching strategies and other aspects of teaching. Much of this book is available on-line.
- Teaching Tips by Wilbert J. McKeachie. Another excellent resource for various teaching strategies and other aspects of teaching.
- Science Teaching Reconsidered National Research Council, 1997. This book provides an overview of various teaching strategies and issues in science education and is available on-line.
- Student-Active Science: Models of Innovation in College Science Teaching by A. McNeal and C. D'Avanzo, 1997.
- How People Learn: Brain, Mind, Experience, and School by John D. Bransford, Ann L. Brown, and Rodney R. Cocking, eds., National Research Council, 2000, is available online.
- Classroom Assessment Techniques: A Handbook for College Teachers by Thomas A. Angelo and K. Patricia Cross, 1993. This book presents many different classroom assessment techniques.
- Shaping the Future: New Expectations for Undergraduate Education in Science, Mathematics, Engineering, and Technology, National Science Foundation, 1996. NSF 96-139.
- Learning Styles: Index of Learning Styles Questionnaire by Barbara A. Soloman and Richard M. Felder, North Carolina State University. The questionnaire of learning styles and a number of related resources are on-line.