- Classroom Assessment Techniques: A Handbook for College Teachers (Thomas Angelo and K. Patricia Cross, 1993) gives detailed, how-to advice on classroom assessment through twelve case studies and features fifty classroom assessment techniques.
- The Field-Tested Learning Assessment Guide provides an excellent online summary of Classroom Assessment Techniques, including many specific examples.
- Understanding by Design (Grant Wiggins, Jay McTighe , 1998) provides a practical framework for designing curriculum, assessment, and instruction including a continuum of assessment methods.
- 'Designing and Assessing Courses and Curricula: A Practical Guide ' (Robert Diamond, 1997) describes a model for designing, implementing, and evaluating courses and curricula.
- The Genetics Concept Assessment: A New Concept Inventory for Gauging Student Understanding of Genetics describes the process of designing, developing and validating an assessment of students' conceptual understanding.
- The Center for Technology in Learning at SRI International has conducted a number of projects creating assessment designs and examples for middle and high school students that are relevant to the geosciences, including:
Assessment in the Geosciences
- Primer on Assessment in the Geosciences is an in depth introduction to assessment created for faculty teaching introductory courses.
- Assessment and Active Learning Strategies for Introductory Geology Courses (Acrobat (PDF) 390kB Mar8 05), David McConnell, David Steer, Kathie Owens, 2003, Journal of Geoscience Education, v. 51, n. 2, March, 2003, p. 205-216, is a good, concise, introduction to assessment techniques.
- DLESE Evaluation Toolkit aims to help geoscience educators and project evaluators find good resources, get feedback and help with geoscience education evaluation, and share results with one another.
Search the collection by topic and type of resource.