Ice Ages and Climate Dynamics
Discuss the causes of ice ages on Earth and determine if Mars experiences similar climate dynamics to Earth.
- Observe ice ages through time and provide explanation for icehouse/greenhouse periods.
- Determine if Mars goes through similar Earth climate change
- Distinguish between different drivers of climate change at different scales
- Form an informed opinion regarding global warming
Context for Use
It is advisable that students are familiar with basic lithology and mineralogy to be successful in these activities and homework sets. This learning module may be utilized in any course where global warming and climate change are discussed.
Description and Teaching Materials
- In-Class Activity 1: Ice Ages Through Time
Teaching Notes and Tips
- An image file for In-Class activities is not needed at this time
- Infuse data from http://climate.nasa.gov/
- Students can make graphs of change over time, focus on a specific region, compare Arctic and Antarctic, etc.....
- They can also compare Earth's poles to Mars poles OR evidence of ice on both planets
- It is advisable that students understand that Mars can change its axial tilt prior to completing Homework 1. This will enable students to properly evaluate the affect of Milankovitch cycles on Mars climate.
Methods of assessment are within each individual In-Class Activity and Homework.
References and Resources