Rock Evolution and Change
Students will be exposed to the processes of metamorphism and diagenesis on Earth and determine which processes are dominant on Mars. Are diagenetic processes on Earth mirrored on Mars?
- Observe and understand the diagenetic alteration of hematite to goethite,
- Test different variables of experimentation to understand diagenetic environment thresholds of alteration.
Context for Use
This module is meant for adaptation in an earth science course where sedimentary rock lithology and sedimentary rock processes of formation are already familiar to students. An understanding of sedimentary depositional environments would also be helpful.
Background materials for rock types and classification include:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acqRoasmxzg (this is aimed at a young kid audience)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg_jKJFbA2A (this is classification using cooking kitchen analogy)
Description and Teaching Materials
Compiled In-Class Activities and Homework
- In-Class Activity 1: Cooking Rocks- Did the Experiment Work?
- Homework 1: Cooking Rocks- Diagenesis
- Instructor Version (Acrobat (PDF) 639kB Dec9 15)
Teaching Notes and Tips
- In Homework 1: students will need samples of southern Utah picturestone.
References and Resources
- Image File: Rock Evolution and Change (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 804kB May21 13)
- Potential picturestone vendor- Kanab, UT: http://www.westernhills.com/index.html?shopper=cb6311c803426cebbc922d135f10e356
- Rainbow Bridge Image: http://nature.nps.gov/geology/geologic_wonders/images/rainbow.jpg
- Gold stone Image: http://rayerminerals.homestead.com/Verkoop_mineralen_6.html#