Remote Sensing Mars
This learning module and related laboratory exercise exposes students to remote sensing techniques utilized on Mars.
- Students will apply the concepts of scale and context in remote sensing imagery.
- Students will be able view THEMIS and HiRISE images and interpret major geomorphic features using Google Mars and associated homework activities.
- Students will test how MOLA works and apply the equations that are needed to understand how MOLA generates its image data.
Context for Use
This learning module is meant for adaptation in an introductory earth science course and/or planetary science course. It is advised that the teacher compare Earth-based remote sensing instrumentation for context/reference such as LandSat 7.
Description and Teaching Materials
- In-Class Activity 1: Scale and Context
- In-Class Activity 2: MOLA simulation, adapted from NASA/Goddard Ping Pong Altimetry Lab **Coming Soon!**
- Homework 1: Google Mars-Following Opportunity
- Homework 2: Mars Image Analysis
Teaching Notes and Tips
- The In-Class Activities can be utilized as homework as well. Students will have a lab-write up associated with the MOLA simulation. All images for the Scale and Context activity are available in References and Resources.
- For a large class size >20 you may either have a separate lab time/class for different sections or demonstrate the lab with the entire class and employ student participation.
- We advise instructors to compare Earth-based remote sensing packages such as Landsat 7 for context (see Slides).
- In preparation for the MOLA simulation In-Class Activity instructors must gather a few materials (see the MOLA simulation for further clarification).
- The MOLA simulation Lab write-up will assess the student's understanding of the MOLA instrument and MOLA's utility.
- The Google Mars homework will assess whether or not students can successfully navigate the Google Mars software and begin to interpret the data provided by Google Mars.
References and Resources
- Images for In-Class Activities and Homework/Labs: Remote Sensing Mars Image file (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 4.4MB Oct23 12)
- THEMIS images url: http://themis.asu.edu/
- LANDSAT 7 images url: http://landsat.gsfc.nasa.gov/images/
- HiRISE 13 April 2011 YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U6-uYDtuSg
- MRO/HiRISE All HiClips revisited (Feb 2012) YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVDUQjJbjyc
- MOLA images url: http://mola.gsfc.nasa.gov/index.html
- Ping-Pong Lab (NASA): http://mola.gsfc.nasa.gov/pingpong.html