Welcome to Earth and Mars
This introduction will expose students to Mars imaging software platforms so that students may become familiar with their navigation and imagery products.
- Navigate and use both Google Mars and JMARS.
- Become familiar with imagery collections available via the above software programs such as: HiRISE, CRISM, and THEMIS.
Context for Use
Description and Teaching Materials
Compiled In-Class Activities and Homework
- In-Class Activity 1: Mars Analogs
- Homework 1: Google Mars
- Homework 2: Exploring Gale Crater
- Homework 3: JMARS- Mawrth Vallis "Potential Landing Site"
- Homework 4: Meet the Scientist- Who Studies Mars?
- Homework 5: Having Fun with Mars Programs
Teaching Notes and Tips
- Before assigning Homework 1 or 2 spend some time exploring both Google Mars and JMARS with the students for a "first pass" exposure.
Methods of assessment are within each individual In-Class Activity and Homework.