Project Mission to Mars
This is a collection of documents to prepare and evaluate students for their Project: Mission to Mars.
Students will be able to:
- Practice creating a mission budget.
- Define mission objectives, supporting science, and background research to substantiate mission.
- Present a mission project presentation before a review board.
- Identify mission personnel currently active in NASA/Astrobiology related studies.
Context for Use
This module exposes students to the realities of creating and seeking funding for a mission to Mars in a presentation format.
Students use knowledge gained throughout Mars for Earthlingsto support their work. This lesson serves as a culminating activity which requires understanding of the Martian surface via Earth analog concepts.
Description and Teaching Materials
- Homework 1: Project Mission to Mars
Teaching Notes and Tips
- For the review panel, ask other outside teachers/instructors to join the panel so students do not necessarily recognize their reviewers. TA's could be used as well.
- Students will be most successful in this project after several weeks of interpreting Mars data and relating Earth analog concepts.
- Encourage students to refer to the "Meet the Scientists" videos for potential personnel.
References and Resources
Students can participate in virtual projects and activities: