Origin of Life
Share hypotheses on the origins of life on planet Earth and their plausibility on Mars.
Students will be able to:
- Explain the conditions of the Miller-Urey Experiment
- Define "life" and the requirements for life
- Determine if the Miller-Urey Experiment has applicability on Mars
Context for Use
This module is meant for adaptation in an Earth science course, particularly a segment discussing Pre-Cambrian/Hadean environmental conditions on Earth. Biology instructors are also encouraged to adapt this material.
Description and Teaching Materials
Compiled In-Class Activities and Homework
- In-Class Activity 1: Miller-Urey Experiment
- In-Class Activity 2: Mars Life: Through the Lens of MSL Curiosity
Teaching Notes and Tips
- Encourage a discussion about the requirements of life and what "life" means in the In-Class Activity
- Have students determine the viability of the Miller-Urey Experiment as theory for the origin of life.
Methods of assessment are within each individual In-Class Activity and Homework.