Logistics and Travel Information for the Teaching about Risk and Resilience Workshop
Dates, times, and location
Before making travel plans, please read about the options below for ground transportation to FAU Boca Raton. Please recognize that it may take at least 35-45 minutes to get to Boca Raton from either airport and you may have to wait a while for some modes of public transportation. We strongly recommended that you do not schedule flights to arrive any later than 3:45 p.m. in order to allow enough time for travel from the airport to campus.
Finding your way around campus:
- We encourage you to print out this map of the Alumni Center and Dorms (Acrobat (PDF) 150kB Mar13 14) and bring it with you to the workshop. A general FAU campus map can be found here: campus map
- Take a virtual walking tour of campus (optional).
Transportation and parking
Participants are responsible for their transportation to and from the Boca Raton campus of Florida Atlantic University.
Airports: Fort Lauderdale International Airport (FLL) and Palm Beach International Airport (PBI) are the closest major airports and are approximately 25-30 miles from campus. We recommend using Fort Lauderdale Airport, if possible, as they tend to be less expensive and have a greater availability of flights.
Ground transportation: There are many options for getting from the airports to campus. We will provide information about other participant's arrivals after travel information has been submitted so you can contact each other to share rides
- Reserve a seat with Go Airport Shuttle. Shuttle rates are approximately $30 round-trip from Ft. Lauderdale Airport. Price breaks are available for groups of 5+ ($95) or 10 ($110).
- Sharing a taxi might be an inexpensive option, if several share the ride.
- Read more about Fort Lauderdale International Airport ground transportation or Palm Beach International Airport ground transportation options (see menu on the left side of the page).
- Driving directions from I-95 or the turnpike and printable map
- Customizable driving directions from Google Maps
Parking: Those driving to the workshop will be required to display a parking hang tag on their rear view mirror at all times. When we receive your travel information we will either send you one via USPS or you will be able to pick one up when checking in to the dorms.
For more information about parking, see the Florida Atlantic University visitor parking page.
Innovation Village South apartment units with 4 private single bedrooms, 2 shared bathrooms, a kitchenette, and a common room. Linens will be provided. Please indicate if you have a unit roommate preference on your Registration Form; otherwise they will be assigned to you.
Single occupancy rooms may be available, with the understanding that you will be responsible for the additional cost ($35 per night, for a total of $70).
Meals will be provided on campus or local restaurants. We will have a catered reception and dinner on Wednesday evening and dinner at an on-campus restaurant on Thursday evening. There will be vegetarian options at all meals.
Dress for the workshop is casual. Please be prepared for cool air conditioned buildings and the hot outdoors. The average high for May is 87 and the low is 71. Spring thunderstorms are not uncommon, so we encourage you to check the Boca Raton weather forecast prior to your departure and pack accordingly.