Travel and Logistics
learn more about the optional field trips), and participants must sign up for and pay the additional fee for the field trips in advance of the workshop. For those arriving Monday evening and/or who are participating in the pre-workshop field trip, there is and optional in downtown San Francisco (on your own dime).
- A large meeting room, with balconies overlooking Portsmouth Square in the heart of Chinatown (capacity 65)
- A large auditorium with theater or table seating (capacity 150)
- Multiple breakout rooms, including a computer room, two science laboratories, and two science classrooms
- Wifi throughout the building
- Projectors in all rooms
Participants are responsible for their transportation to and from the workshop and for booking their own hotel reservations (see a list of recommended lodgings). Once we have travel information for all participants, we will provide an Excel spreadsheet of arrival times so participants can coordinate travel from the airport if they wish.
Arriving by Air
Participants are responsible for their transportation to and from City College, San Francisco. The two major airports serving San Francisco are San Francisco International Airport, SFO and Oakland International Airport, OAK. If you have a choice, SFO is the better option. Train and bus service is also available (though seldom used!). Sharing a taxi might be an inexpensive option for getting to and from the airport if several share the ride. We will provide information about other participants arriving at the same airport after travel information has been submitted so you can contact each other to share rides.
We recommend you use public transportation for all travel during this workshop:
Options from airport:
- Recommended: BART ($8) to Montgomery Street Station + 12-15-minute walk (mostly flat)
- BART ($8) to Powell St. Station, then pick up the 8x, 45, or 30 bus lines
- Super Shuttle ($15-18)
- Cabs ($40-50) can take you from the airport to the venue.
Getting around town:
- Walking/cabs/buses can get you between the venue and your hotel (most hotels are within just a few blocks of the venue).
- Tour buses will pick you up for the pre- and post-event optional field trips. A car is not required.
Arriving by Car/Parking
Cars are unnecessary in downtown San Francisco, and not recommended. However, if you are driving, here are some parking lot options near the venue:
- The Hilton Hotel is offering us a $15/car/day rate for parking. The Hilton is across the street from the venue. To get this rate, you will need to identify yourself with the parking lot manager. You can arrange for pre-paid vouchers ahead of time. For contact information to make arrangements ahead of time, please contact workshop organizers.
- San Francisco Parking Garage, 555 Jackson St., Hours of Operation: Mon-Thurs:6:30am-11pm, Fri-Sat: 6:30am-2:30am. Rates: EARLY BIRD: Mon-Fri Enter by 9:30am, out after 7pm $18
You will be responsible for booking your own lodging. 2013 is the year of America's Cup, which will be held in August and September in San Francisco. We recommend you make hotel reservations right away to ensure a good room rate. Learn more on our Lodging Recommendations page.
The workshop program will begin at 8:15, Tuesday, June 18. Participants will sign in, pick up workshop materials, and submit the completed Medical Emergency Health Form (Acrobat (PDF) 5kB Jan13 04) in a sealed envelope.
Complimentary high-speed wireless service is available throughout Chinatown/North Beach center.What to Wear
Dress for the workshop is casual. Areas close to the water can be cool in the summer in the Bay area. San Francisco has mild, average temperatures that average between 53 and 67 degrees Fahrenheit in June. The evenings are cool.
We will have catered lunches on the workshop and field trip days, and there will be vegetarian options at all meals. We will provide dinner on Tuesday and Wednesday nights (the 18th and 19th). You will be responsible for breakfasts on all days and dinner on the 20th. We have assembled a list of recommended restaurants of various types.